You know me, watch friends – I like GMT complications, I’m a big fan of tritium tubes, and I really dig a cyclops over a date window. Mix all of those together, and you certainly have my attention, and Ball has done that in the past. Well, this time, they’ve taken things up a notch by finally doing something I’d hope they do for awhile now – put flat tritium tubes onto the handset! That’s right – the Ball Engineer II Timetrekker has done something new.
Now, of course, flat tritium tubes are nothing new. We’ve seen them on dials for some time now, and they do present a great level of glow (and even some lovely daytime visibility). In the dark, however, they made the tubes on the hands (the classic round variety) feel positively puny. Well, the Ball Engineer II Timetrekker changes all of that.
Interestingly, the flat tubes are only on the hands of the Ball Engineer II Timetrekker (both main hours and minutes, and the GMT hours), while the numerical indices use the round tubes, building the numbers in the segment style that first grabbed my attention in the Ball lineup so many years ago. We do also have a mix of tube colors here (green and yellow) which no doubt will make things a delight in the dark.
Now, is the Ball Engineer II Timetrekker my absolute favorite from the brand? Well, no – while I dig the flat tubes on the hands, and the cyclops and the GMT, I tend to prefer watches without the extra pushers on the case (here, they adjust the GMT hand) and I think I’d like flat tubes on the dial as well. But that’s me, waiting to see what comes next. If you dig this look, there’s a special pre-order price of $2,430 available until October 28, 2020 (after which it goes to $2,860). So, if that’s you, move quickly! ballwatch.ch
Tech Specs from Ball Watch
- WEIGHT: Approx. 190g
- MOVEMENT: Automatic caliber BALL RR1304-C; Chronometer certified COSC
- SIZE (CASE): Ø 40mm, height 12.8 mm
- WATER RESISTANCE: 100m/330ft
- ANTI-MAGNETISM: 4,800A/m
- MICRO GAS TUBES: 49 micro gas tubes on hour, minute, second and dual time hands and dial for night reading capability
- Dual time zone indication with patented quick set mechanism
- Day-night indicators
- Hours, minutes, sweep seconds and magnified date
- 5,000Gs shock resistance
- CASE MATERIAL: 904L Stainless steel; Sapphire crystal transparent case back
- CROWN: Screwed-in crown
- CRYSTAL: Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
- DIAL COLOR: Blue, black, or brown
- BRACELET: 904L Stainless steel bracelet with folding buckle
- LUG WIDTH: 20mm