Pandemic? What pandemic? OH, that one. Well, it’s here for awhile, and product development cycles are long and deliver when they deliver. So, while you might wonder at the idea of launching luxury watches these days, the product lifecycle must go on. Which is how we’re arriving at talking about two new watches from Paneai.
The first one up is the classic look in the form of the Panerai Submersible Azzuro (aka PAM1209). What makes this one special? Well, that it is a special exclusive. Not one that you have to travel to an AD for though, thankfully – it’s exclusive to ecommerce, and ecommerce only. This one is currently up for pre-order at $9,800 with delivery anticipated in September. Only 500 pieces of this matte black (dial) and matte blue (ceramic bezel) will be made, and really, 42mm is a fairly compact Panerai, if you think about.
On the other hand, should you want something a bit more, shall we say, exotic, how about Panerai’s release in support of the Luna Rossa America’s Cup team? For that, we’ve got the Panerai Luminor GMT PAM1096) coming in at $10,800? Why so spendy? Well, complications do that, as do limited editions (250 pieces), as does exotic material. In this case, it’s called Scafotech, which is the same composite that those high-end boats are using in their hulls and hydrofoils. So, more than just a name on the dial, it’s like you’ve actually got a piece of the boat on your wrist. At least, on the dial; the case itself is made of tasty titanium.
For the full specs on these watches, just check out the blocks below. I tell you this – if someone I just had the couch change to cover one of these watches, I’d have a tough choice to make. Sure, I did the blue-and-black combo of the PAM1209, but there’s no denying the allure of a GMT complication (and cool materials) on the PAM1096. Then again, both could buy my car several times over, so for now, ’tis but a pipe dream. panerai.com
Tech Specs from Panerai
- ECOMMERCE EXCLUSIVE
- MOVEMENT: Mechanical with automatic winding, Caliber P.900, 121?2 lignes, 4.2 mm think, 171 components, 23 jewels, 28,800 vibrations / hour, IncablocTM shockproof device, single barrel. Entirely made by Panerai.
- FUNCTIONS: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date. POWER RESERVE: 3 days.
- CASE: Satin AISI 316L steel, diameter 42 mm, 13.22 mm thick. Unidirectional ro-tating bezel in brushed steel with matte blue ceramic ring with graduated scale. Safety Lock crown protection device (protected by trademark) in brushed steel. Sapphire crystal. Screwed caseback in steel.
- DIAL: Matte black with luminescent indexes and points applied in white Super-LumiNovaTM with green-blue luminescence. Seconds at 9 o’clock, date at 3 o’clock.
- STRAP: In black rubber with trapezoidal buckle; Tin brushed steel. Additional strap in Sportech velcro black.
- WATER RESISTANCE: 30 bar (~300 meters)
- MOVEMENT: Mechanical with automatic winding, Caliber P.9010/GMT, 133?4 lignes, 6.0 mm thick, 200 components, 31 jewels, 28,800 vibrations/hour, GlucydurTM balance wheel, IncablocTM shockproof device, two barrels. Made entirely by Panerai.
- FUNCTIONS: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date, GMT. POWER RESERVE: Three days.
- CASE: Sandblasted titanium, 42 mm diameter, 14.4 mm thick. Carbotech bezel. Safety Lock crown protection device (protected by trademark) in sandblasted titanium. Screwed dodecagonal case back in sandblasted titanium with Luna Rossa logo, Luna Rossa AC75 monohull and engraved image of the America’s Cup trophy.
- DIAL: ScafotechTM, sandwich structure with Arabic numerals and indices in white Super-LumiNovaTM with green luminescence. Personalized with “Luna Rossa Challenger 36th America’s Cup”. Seconds at 9 o’clock, date at 3 o’clock.
- STRAP: Black alligator leather with tone-on-tone stitching and trapezoidal ardillon buckle in titanium. Additional black rubber strap.
- WATER RESISTANCE: 10 bar (~100 meters).