When you think of Panerai, you no doubt have a very specific design in mind. And, if I had to put money on it, it’s going to be something from the Panerai Luminor lineup. At least for me, that’s the design that grabbed my imagination years ago, and now they’re back with a new iteration, the Panerai Luminor Marina PAM1313.
Why is the Panerai Luminor Marina PAM1313 of interest to me? Well, iconic design aside, it’s because of that lovely dark blue dial that’s set into this watch. Blue can be tricky to do properly, especially in a dark blue. Here, it’s set over a sunray-brushed dial blank, which gives some necessary lightness to the look.
I also like that they’ve put the Panerai Luminor Marina PAM1313 into a 44mm case. In many respects, this is much larger than I’d prefer, but it is a bit more restrained for the brand, while still giving the bolder hit (that’s not to say I wouldn’t love to see a thinner 40mm implementation), complete with the iconic crown protection system.
If you want to pick up your own Panerai Luminor Marina PAM1313, you will be putting down $7,700 on pre-order for the piece. It’s steep, but if you’re looking for a beefy icon in the watch world, you could certainly do worse. panerai.com
Tech Specs from Panerai
- Reference: PAM01313
- MOVEMENT: Automatic mechanical, P.9010 Calibre, 133?4 lignes, 6 mm thick, 200 components, 31 jewels, 28,800 alternations/hour, Glucydur balance, Incabloc anti-shock device, two spring barrels. Executed entirely by Panerai.
- FUNCTIONS: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date.
- POWER RESERVE: 3 days.
- In AISI 316L brushed steel, diameter 44 mm, thickness 15.65 mm, bezel in polished steel.
- Brushed steel Safety Lock device protecting the winding crown (protected by trade mark). Sapphire crystal obtained from corundum. 12-sided screw back in brushed steel.
- Blue with satiné soleil decoration, sandwich structure, with Arabic numerals and hour markers in white Super-LumiNovaTM with green luminescence.
- Small seconds at 9 o’clock, date at 3 o’clock.
- STRAP: Made of alligator leather, dark blue with beige sewing, with trapezoid buckle in brushed steel. Additional strap in blue rubber.
- WATER-RESISTANCE: 30 bar (~300 metres)