Phantom is a new brand, specializing in making a high quality, affordable dive watch. They don’t hide it – “Get a £500 watch for under £200”. Why would I tell you it’s good? HOW can it be good at these prices?
First off, it’s not just anyone doing this. They’ve got the assistance of Ross Davis of Hamtun watches, so you know they know what they’re doing.
Secondly, it’s a 40mm stainless steel dive case, capped off with pointed crown guards. It’s got a coin edge bezel, date window at 3 o’clock, and beautiful blue lume. The date window frame is bevel cut on all sides, so it’s easier to read.
The movement inside is the reliable Seiko NH35. The indices on the dial are applied, as are the big 6,9,12 numerals. The crystal is sapphire, framed by a stainless steel PVD coated bezel insert.
I’ve named a ton of quality materials and features. How much would you expect to pay for all this? Surprisingly, £189 GBP, or about $218 USD.
For your money, you get to choose from a blue, white, black dial, or as a stretch goal, an all-PVD black version. Each comes with a matching Horween leather strap. Basically, I don’t see how you could go wrong. It’s a pretty awesome looking watch.
Maybe you want one? You want one. Get it at kickstarter.com.
- Brand & Model: Phantom Caleuche
- Price: Earlybird pricing starts at $218 USD
- Who we think it might be for: You want a classic dive watch with big numerals on the dial, and quality materials
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: DAMN RIGHT.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: lume bezel? Just kidding, it has one. It’s awesome.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Reliable Seiko movement, Stainless Steel bezel, and a fun looking dial.
Tech Specs from Phantom
- Case size: 40mm, 47 lug to lug
- Height: 13.3mm
- Case material: 316L Stainless Steel
- Crystal: sapphire
- Strap: Horween leather
- Movement: Seiko NH35