Zodiac has been charging – hard – into resurrecting their catalog. I’ve reviewed a few different ones from the Super Sea Wolf line, and have come away favorably impressed. Then again, the look and dimensions have frankly been right in my wheelhouse. If you want a different look (aka, definitely a 60s vibe from the case and color scheme) then the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68 Saturation may be right up your alley.
While those prior watches we reviewed had a classic circular case and extended lugs, the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68 Saturation offers a more oblong case with an “integrated” lug (ie, the bracelet just attaches at the underside of the case). This certainly dates the era the design hails from – I’ll leave it to you to decide if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.
For all of it’s size (a 45mm diameter with 50mm lug-to-lug), the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68 Saturation (with it’s 16mm thickness) “only” has a 100m WR rating. While that’s plenty for most of us, for my preference, if a watch is going to be that thick, it should be doing better than 100m.
In terms of overall design, I am digging on the orange-on-black scheme that the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68 Saturation offers, as well as the handset design that it has. I just can’t get past the relationship between the case and the bracelet – the proportions just feel off to me. Even if it is the “period correct” look, this is one area I think that it could have been improved upon.
But hey, that’s just me. If you’re disagreeing with my take (and no skin off my nose if you do – we all have different tastes), you’ll find that the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68 Saturation is available now for $1,595. For me, though, the ’53 or the GMT is where it’s at. zodiacwatches.com
- Brand & Model: Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68 Saturation
- Price: $1,595
- Who we think it might be for: The prior retro-inspired Zodiac divers just haven’t quite done it for you, but you still are a fan of the brand
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? While this isn’t a bad look, per se, I think the prior designs are where my interest sits
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: The proportions from case to bracelet feel off – and the bracelet looks puny. Widen it at the case, and then let it taper down to the clasp
Tech Specs from Zodiac
- Case size: 45 mm x 50 mm
- Case thickness: 16 mm
- Lug width: 20 mm
- Movement: Automatic
- Origin: Swiss Made
- Packaging: Zodiac Black Box
- Warranty: 2 Year International
- Water resistant: 100 ATM