I will be the first to admit that, while chronographs are not for me, they are certainly popular. Know what else is popular? Scandinavian minimalist design, so that is how we ended up with a Llarsen Nor Chronograph loaner winging it’s way in from Denmark.
In some ways, the Llarsen Nor Chronograph should present as a familiar design, as the Miyota JS20 quartz chronograph movement presents a very familiar triple sub-dial layout on the dial Those subdials come across almost as bubbles, given the circular textures at play – the light catches them differently and make them pop out from the main, flat, dial.
While the Llarsen Nor Chronograph is familiar, it has also changed up the homework a bit. The 42mm case has an angled and highly-polished bezel coming down from the sapphire crystal, while the brushed surfaces of the long indices and handset collect and reflect the light in a more muted effect.
While the Llarsen Nor Chronograph is a larger (in terms of diameter) watch, it’s relatively thin and light, courtesy of the quartz movement tucked into the case. Quartz means that you don’t have any exhibition caseback, but you do have a nice engraved lion showing up there, as well as the technical specifications of the watch.
With all of the polished surfaces, and paired to a leather strap (as our loaner was) the Llarsen Nor Chronograph definitely feels like a dressier watch, albeit one with a very welcome splash of color (in fact, across their whole catalog, hues are very key). With only 50m of WR, this isn’t a watch you’d want to do more than wash your hands with, but that’s not what this one is for. This is for a clean, casual, upscale sort of a look, all at at a wallet-friendly price. This particular example will run you $299, or you can opt for a mesh bracelet at $319. llarsen.com
- Brand & Model: Llarsen Nor Chronograph
- Price: $299
- Who’s it for? You want a clean, slightly more upscale look in your watch
- Would I wear it? Probably not – chronographs aren’t for me
- What I’d change: The luminous paint could be improved
- The best thing about it: The way the color-matched blues on the dial and subdials managed to contrast and complement each other.
Tech Specs from Llarsen
- Model No.:149SDS3-SINK20
- Case: 316 stainless steel / polished bezel – 42mm / 10mm
- Glass:Scratch resistant sapphire crystal with several layers of an anti-reflective coating
- Movement: Quartz Miyota JS20
- Strap:Calf leather – 20mm
- Total Length:232
- Water Resist:5 ATM