Undone is a watch brand that seemingly came out of nowhere a few years ago (at least as far as my own personal radar goes). They set a solid foundation with building up semi-custom watches for customers, and then they started scoring some rather interesting partnership deals. Recently, they had official Peanuts watches (which I almost got one for my oldest), and now, they hit me right in the cowl with a batarang. You see, they’ve got two watches now to help commemorate the 80th anniversary of my favorite superhero, Batman, appearing in the comics.
For this release (which I imagine is just the first, as they’ve got a three-year deal with Warner Bros) they’ve got two variants available – the “Caped Crusader” (which has the yellow accents and the early-90s Batsymbol) and the “Dark Knight” (with Wayne Enterprises branding and 2011-version batsymbol). Both of these are set into a new titanium cushion case (the first time Undone has used titanium, it seems). This takes its cues from their Urban series, though the titanium reduces weight by 25%, and they managed to shave 0.5mm off of the case height.
Design-wise, the watches are setting themselves into two different eras. The Caped Crusader features the bat symbol that I am the most familiar with (’89 Batman an Batman: The Animated Series) and is the one I doodle, whereas the Dark Knight goes with the logo that shows up now in the comics (as well as that Wayne Enterprises logo we know from the Christian Bale-era Batman movies). They’ve got very different color schemes, and I think that will, in large part, drive your decision. While the more practical me is drawn to the grey-on-grey of the Dark Knight (as well as it’s blue lume) it’s the kid in me that says the Caped Crusader with it’s bold yellow (and the luminous “Detect-a-scope”) just, well, feels like an unabashed homage to the Bat.
Both designs are currently available right now, featuring a quartz chronograph movement. Head on over to Undone, and lay claim to the version you prefer for just $359 – which is quite a nice price considering the titanium (and the licensing). I’ve not experienced Undone in person, but folks seem to be happy with their build quality. So, if you’ve gotten one before – or are ordering one now – do let us know in the comments (or drop us a line) (mailto:[email protected]?subject=Undone) and let us know. Will you get a watch? We’ll find out – tune in to the same Bat-blog, same Bat-time. undone.com
2% of every Batman sale will go to support the heroic work of the Hope for Henry Foundation, who help seriously ill children and their families through difficult times.
- Brand & Model: Undone Caped Crusader / Undone Dark Knight
- Price: $359
- Who we think it might be for: For anyone who is a fan of Batman, of course
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? If it weren’t for my personal aversion to chronographs (I just don’t have a real use for them, even though I appreciate them from a technical perspective) it would be a temptation
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: If they ever make a ’66-era one, they really can use the spinning Batsymbol from the show either on the sundial, or on the rotor of an automatic
Tech Specs from Undone
- 40mm (43mm including crown)
- Grade II Titanium
- 48mm lug-to-lug length
- Height: 13.3mm
- Exhibition caseback with 80th anniversary badge
- Movement: Seiko VK64 Quartz Hybrid Chronograph
- Crystal: Hardened Domed K1
- WR: 50 meters