The Nordgreen Philosopher is billed as an expertly designed minimalist Scandinavian quartz, with a couple layers of “social responsibility” and “ethos” layered on.Â The watch has simple and clean lines, and looks like it pretty much goes with anything. But is it worth wearing as a watch, despite its ethically messaged branding? I wore it for a week to find out, and WWR Associate Editor Hilary wore the women’s model for a week too.
The Philosopher watchâ€™s two-piece dial and asymmetric second hand combine to create a truly unique design. This model celebrates the ability to think differently, push boundaries, and make a statement wherever you go.
Clean, simple, and light. The watch comes in a basic long black box, packed flat, with its strap attached. On first look, it’s an easy to like, basic round watch. I was actually somewhat impressed with the clean, clear design of the face. The leather strap is basic and soft, with convenient hand-change nubs on the spring pins.
On the Wrist
On the wrist, the watch feels thin and light, due to its rounded caseback design, and lightweight construction. It’s easy to put it on, and forget you’re wearing it. Glancing at the time is easy. Of note, the day-window is tiny, and given the simple design of this piece, I’d opt for removing the day window and just sticking with a straight-forward three hand look. The very moderate narrowing of the case sides is an interesting touch. Besides that, it’s a basic quartz ticker. Easy to wear, relatively inexpensive, and easy to move on from.
- Time – A quartz ticking second hand, and polished hour and minute hands. Basic and functional.
- Day – Yep, it tells you the day of the mont, in the tiniest square window.
Should You Buy It?
This is an everyday, basic, minimalist design quarts analog watch. The white/silver goes with almost anything, and interchangable straps makes it blend in where. If you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive analog watch with a small minimalist design edge, and want to support Noordgreen’s social cause, then go for it. But I wouldn’t expect to wear it past the first battery change, and certainly not pass it down to your kids.
- Brand & Model:Â Nordgreen Philosopher
- Price: USD $210
- Who we think it might be for: First time fashion watch wearer looking for a simple and accessible piece who wants to feel like their purchase is doing something good for the world.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Remove the date window and make it even more simple and slick.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:Â Simple, classic, fashionable design that’s easily accessible.
- Case Thickness 7.2mm / 7.84mm
- Case Width 36mm / 40mm
- Case Material 316L Stainless Steel
- Case Color Silver
- Movement Japanese Quartz
- Interchangeable Straps Yes
- Water Resistant Up to 3 ATM (Rain resistant)