Shinola is a brand that knows what works in their watch lineup. Some other components of the catalog may have not hit quite as well (I’m looking at you, Audio category), but watches are humming along. So, how do you take a popular design (the Shinola Runwell) and mix it up and make it fresh? You go with a new case material, and give it a new name – the Shinola Detrola.
For the new Shinola Detrola, we’re seeing a case material we’ve not seen from the brand before. We’re used to metal cases (generally steel), but this time around they’re going with a resin known as TR90. This should make for a light (and hopefully tough) case, and also allows for a LOT of color to be introduced. In this case, there are seven different color combinations, and there are just 250 of each being made.
With the Shinola Detrola coming in at 43mm, that’s a lot of surface area to bring the colors to the fore. Most of the combos are fairly reserved, though I imagine that the Ace model (red, white, and blue, aka Classic Detroit Pistons) will prove popular, and the Pine Knob variant will perfect for longtime residents of Metro Detroit. Personally, I think I’d go for the Daily Wear, and then maybe pickup a second strap in red (the Shinola leather is some quality stuff, if you weren’t aware).
The Shinola Detrola is available now, and with this introduction, it becomes the most affordable watch from the brand. Each of the versions runs just $395 and if you move quickly, you can get those pops of color while the weather is still warm. Or, you know, pick up the Pine Knob in preparation for when what Michigan calls a hill opens up for some winter time skiing. shinola.com
- Brand & Model: Shinola Detrola
- Price: $395
- Who we think it might be for: You have been holding out for a more-affordable Shinola
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen? The Daily Wear, yeah, that’s my jam
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Where are the Tigers and Lions colors?
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Light weight, affordable, and a clean design. And that font choice on the dial – spot on!
Tech Specs from Shinola
- Case: 43mm, made of TR90 resin
- Strap: silicone, quick release
- Movement: Argonite 705 quartz
- Crystal: K1 mineral
- Limited edition: 250 pieces of each color