So, you say you’ve really got a thing for the digital watches of the 80s and 90s, but you don’t want to buy one that has not had any updates since it was first introduced? Yes, there are some models out there like that, mainly from our friends at Casio. However, if you want something that’s a bit more of a modern retro take – with more than a splash of color – then the AASY Supercolor may be your particular jam.
At first, the AASY Supercolor may seem like just another digital watch where the color is coming in via platings on the case (silver, black, gold, or rose gold) or perhaps via the 22mm quick-change straps that the brand is offering up in one of seven colors (full black, black & red, black & yellow, full white, white & green, orange & white, pink and white). That would only be part of the story, though, and not really lift it from those vintage roots.
The secret sauce for the AASY Supercolor is in it’s LCD display. With it, you have eight (yes, eight) different color schemes that you can choose from (the full list is down in the specs below). This is something that you could just as easily change things up on the display as you could with the straps, and that gives you a lot of mix and match options. You might think that this means you need to be charging the watch up, but it’s not the case. In terms of capabilities, it’s just got the standard digital watch stuff – dual time, calendar, and stopwatch (no mention of an alarm). This means it can be powered by a simple cell battery, with about 18 months of battery life.
If this sounds rather curious to you, head on over to the Kickstarter page (link) for the AASY Supercolor, and get the rest of the details. Earlybird pricing starts at $115, with the project wrapping up on August 15th. As of the time of this writing, the project has just inched past 100% funding, so it seems like this one will be getting produced. As with all crowd-funding projects, however, the instructional /caveat emptor/ applies. If you pick one up, do let us know! project page
- Brand & Model: AASY Supercolor
- Price: earlybird pricing start at $115
- Who we think it might be for: You’re looking for a watch that reminds of days gone by with digital simplicity
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? While it hit some notes of nostalgia for me, it’s not one that has me tempted
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: 50m WR? Get this up to 100m, and then you’ve got a claim for a solid summertime watch
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The color-changing LCD display is the hook here
Tech Specs from AASY
- Digital Screen: 8 color themes interface: Red, Teal, Yellow, White, Orange, Blue, Purple, Pink
- Dual Time (supports DST)
- 12H/24H display
- Date Calendar
- Sandblasted stainless steel
- 4 platings: Silver / Black / Rose Gold / Gold
- Weight : 60g
- Size: 44 mm
- Ultra fast-changing strap system (8 seconds)
- No tools required
- US-made heavy duty super slim velcro
- 7 colors: full black, black & red, black & yellow, full white, white & green, orange & white, pink and white
- Width: 22 mm
- Unisex Adjustable sizing: Min. wrist size: 14 cm / 5.5” Max. wrist size: 20 cm / 7.9”
- Fully washable
- 5 ATM water resistant
- Powered by a single cell battery, that can be replaced like any regular battery-powered watch.