A few years ago (three-plus, actually) MoVas was very largely on my radar. They had a slew of fun releases, and I even got to go hands-on with one of their watches. For the past few years, itâ€™s been radio silence. As it turns out, the brand had some difficulties, but theyâ€™re riding out of the storm now, and theyâ€™re bringing new watches with them. One of the first to be announced is the MoVas Diver 2 Big Crown.
For those familiar with what MoVas has been producing, the case shape of the MoVas Diver 2 Big Crown will instantly let you know who designed it. This is the look Iâ€™ve taken to calling the squared circle, as youâ€™ve got all the sharp edges of a square, to which rounded corners were applied, along with the familiar circle placed on top of it. This is a unique look, and even extends itself to the crown (made larger here to make it easier for someone with gloves on it to manipulate). Obviously, with all the steel, the watch is firmly in the tool watch camp. This one is purpose built, as itâ€™s meant to be a dive companion.
Obviously, youâ€™ve got the large external timing bezel (here, lumed and topped with a sapphire crystal) intentionally standing tall from the case, giving a porthole-like look down to the dial. This dial is of the sandwich variety, which allows for some massive amounts of lume to be applied (C3 Superluminova, in this case), which is mirrored by the handset. I mean, just look at the lume shot – this one looks to light up quite nicely. What may not be immediately noticeable is the polished rehaut. As they had a taller profile to work with, they polished the reheat, allowing light to play around more down at the dial, and now doubt making for some interesting reflections.
Far from being all show, the MoVas Diver 2 Big Crown has netted itself a 300m WR rating, courtesy of the beefy steel case (45mm x 17mm thick), the 4mm thick single-dome sapphire crystal, and screw down crown. All of this, of course, keeps the water from getting at the movement. Here, youâ€™ve got a Seagull 2100 movement doing the work. Fitting, since MoVas stands for â€œMovements of Asia). This movement also allowed for the day display over at 3 oâ€™clock (in Chinese and English characters) and the date display down at 6 oâ€™clock. All of this is set onto a stock stainless steel bracelet; a second rubber strap will also be provided.
Now, before you ask, no, we are not likely to see the MoVas Diver 2 Big Crown in person to help you make your decision. This is because, quite simply, only 45 of these watches will be made, and theyâ€™re currently in pre-order mode. What that means for you, the potential owner, is that youâ€™ll have to put a deposit down to make your intentions know. That will net you a nice 25% discount, however, which takes the $1,071 MSRP down to a rather nice $800 price point. To put your pre-order in, youâ€™ll need to email the brand to get the ball rolling, and theyâ€™ll send you the invoice. Should you get on the list, Iâ€™m fairly certain that this will be a dive watch (and movement) rather unlike anything else you may already be strapping on to your wrist. movaswatches.com
- Brand & Model: MoVas Diver 2 Big Crown
- Price: $1,071 (MSRP) / ~$800 (pre-order discount of 25%)
- Who we think it might be for: You missed out on the MoVas wagon a few years back, and have been kicking yourself ever since
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen? While I like their designs, the dive watch – while competent – just doesnâ€™t call to me anymore. Now, their Dreamcraft line, that could set a fella to ordering.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: There seems to be a lot of real estate on the square part of the case. Letâ€™s play around with engraving for a super limited edition
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: MoVas is back, baby!
Tech Specs from MoVas
- Case: 316L Surgical Grade Stainless Steel with deep brushed surface. Case 45mm across. 50mm lug hole- lug hole. 17mm height to top of bezel/ 19mm height including domed sapphire.
- Caseback: Solid caseback in 316L Surgical Grade Stainless Steel with brushed surface. Deep etched with chinese character for â€œwaterâ€. Numbered 01-45. 12 sided hex edging.
- Glass:Â 4mm thick single domed european sourced scratch resistant sapphire with slight pink/ blue hue. Single Anti Reflective coating applied internally
- Movement: Produced by Tianjin Seagull Watch Co. Ltd. Caliber 2100. 26 Jewels, beating at 28800bph, 45H Power Reserve,Â featuring customised date disc at 6H, customised day disc at 3H. Day disc in English and Chinese characters. Customised rotor in black PVD and signed. Main plates perlaged. Antishock protection system on balance wheel. Hackable.
- Dial: Matt black painted, with white printing. Sandwiched dial with C3 Superluminova lume filled hour batons.
- Hands: Brass hands plated silver, light sandblasted with C3 Superluminova lume in centre.Â
- Strap/ Bracelet: Â Bracelet in 316L stainless steel fully brushed. Links are removable with 1.5mm hex screwdriver/ allen key (not provided) for length adjustment. Also provided is a fitted rubber strap with a diver extension deployment buckle.
- Buckle: Double locking diverâ€™s buckle with diving suit extension is provided with the bracelet, brushed to match finishing on the bracelet, with micro adjustment on the side. Also provided for the rubber is brushed Diver type #01 deployment.
- Crown: Extra LargeÂ â€œVâ€ logo deep etched crown with double locking screw down mechanism, profiled to match bezel grip.
- Water Resistance: 30atm.
- Power Reserve: 45 hours, fully wound.
- Warranty: 2 year.