MAEN is exactly what we like to see: They began life making a very nice quartz moonphase. And that would have been enough, but they have since followed up with the hard work of making automatics like the Hudson diver. What do they decide to do after making the Hudson? This is a sneak peek at the Skymaster 38 Automatic Chronograph.
A vintage sized chronograph is the right size chronograph. Skymaster 38 is a 38mm with 3 sub-dials chronograph, using an automatic mechanical movement. Instead of a more traditional 7750 style chronograph, this is a Swiss Made ETA 2894-2 running the show.
The indices are brushed with a polished beveled edge, that should catch the lightÂ just so. Dials are going to be available inÂ Jet black, Panda Dial, Reverse Panda dial, Midnight Blue, SOS Dial, with AppliedÂ C1 Superluminova at Hands and markers, and lume printed at 3, 6 and 9 O’clock. The sundials are radial textured, and the outer seconds ring is printed.
From my standpoint, this ticks a lot of boxes for me. I like the 38mm size. I like that it’s 12.9mm tall including the crystal. It’s an excellent movement based on the luxurious 2892-A2 movement, which was used by Zenith, IWC, and others in its non-chronograph form. Everything about this feels right on paper.
If that weren’t enough, in addition to the vintage sized case and narrow bezel, Skymaster 38 has a 12H GMT bi-directional bezel to keep track of an additional timezone.
It is expected to launch September 1st, starting at 799 Euro, including VAT. We hope to bring you a hands-on report as soon as we can. In the meantime, check out maenwatches.com.
SPECIFICATIONS from MAEN
- DIAMETER: 38mm
- THICKNESS: Case 10,9mm. Including glass 12,9mm
- LUG TO LUG HEIGHT: 46mm
- WEIGHT: 135 Gram
- CASEBACK: Screw down with sapphire glass
- CROWN: 7mm
- MATERIAL: 316L Surgical grade stainless steel
- BEZEL: 60 click unidirectional stainless steel bezel with 12H GMT function
- CRYSTAL: Box domed hesalite glass
- WATER RESISTANCE: Waterproof to 5ATM
- MOVEMENT: ETA 2894-2 Swiss Made Automatic Movement ( ElaborÃ© Grade )
- REGULATED:Regulator system ETACHRON and regulator corrector
- SHOCK PROTECTION: Incabloc
- VIBRATIONS PER HOUR: 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz
- POWER RESERVE: ~38 hours
- COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: Switzerland, Swiss made
- JEWELS: 37 Jewels
- FUNCTIONS: Hours, Minutes, Chronograph
- WINDING: Self-winding mechanism with ball bearing
- STRAP: Arizona top grain black leather with white contrasting stitching
- STRAP WIDTH: 20mm narrowed down to 16mm
- CLASP: 316L Stainless steel clasp with embossed logo
- DIAL: Jet black, Panda Dial, Reverse Panda dial, Midnight Blue, SOS Dial
- LUME: Applied C1 Superluminova at Hands and markers, Printed at 3, 6 and 9 O’clock
- DETAILS: ï»¿Radial textured sub dials, Detailed seconds on rehaut ring