Long time readers of the site will know that there is no love lost between chronographs and me. I mean, sure, I get the utility (if you find them useful) and as complication, they are demonstrate a level of technical expertise. I just don’t have much use for them, so they become another complexity for maintenance that – in my world – is just unnecessary. Every now and again, though, something does pop up in a chronograph flavor that catches my eye. And that’s what happened with the Hamilton Intra-Matic Panda Chronograph.
Now, some of what drew my eye with the Hamilton Intra-Matic Panda Chronograph are the Sixties vibes. 1968, to be precise. That was the year that Hamilton introduced the Chronograph A, and this watch pulls from it. Sizing has gone up to 40mm (from the original 36mm) and a date complication has been added, to help modernize things. Then you get the original 1968 logo on the panda dial, and the vintage feel is coming on strong.
The panda dial of the new Hamilton Intra-Matic Panda Chronograph will certainly be a draw. You’ve got the classic black on white, and a tight white on matte blue. Which is, surprising no one, my favorite. The color combination, the overall balance of the dial, it just hits a lot of the right notes, at least in my book. Powered by the H31 automatic movement, you should be kept right on time. And, provided you’re not leaving the chronograph running, you’re also getting a 60-hour power reserve in the mix as well.
So, yeah, even though chronos aren’t my thing, the Hamilton Intra-Matic Panda Chronograph had me giving that stance second thoughts. Fortunately, at an asking price of $2,195 that’s not a hard decision I’ll be having to make. In the mean time, if you want one, you can head on direct to their site to find your own. We’ll also check to see if we can get a loaner in for a hands-on review, and see if this one truly does break my “no chronographs” rule. hamiltonwatch.com
- Brand & Model: Hamilton American Classic Intra-Matic Auto Chrono
- Price: $2,195
- Who’s it for? Anyone who likes their chronographs with a healthy dose of vintage looks
- Would I wear it? Surprising everyone – myself included – the answer appears to be yes
- What I’d change: I know it’s the look, but the chrono pushers just seem really far out there.
- The best thing about it: The look, the look, the look. Oh, and the look.
Tech Specs from Hamilton
- Model: Hamilton American Classic Intra-Matic Auto Chrono 40 mm (H38416711, H38416541)
- Case: 40 mm stainless steel
- White panda dial with black counters
- Blue panda dial with off-white counters
- Nickeled hour and minute hands with Super-LumiNova®
- Black or white lacquered seconds hand, depending on dial color
- Black or white lacquered counter hands, depending on dial color
- Movement: H-31 automatic movement with 60-hour power reserve, date function
- Black calf leather strap with soft touch and pin buckle
- Brown calf leather strap with soft touch and pin buckle
- Glass: Sapphire crystal with double anti-reflective coating
- Water resistance: 10 bar (100m)