I’m not quite sure what to make of the Maskelyne Collection from fashion producer Thomas Earnshaw. It’s a strange mashup of a modern, basic quartz movement, entry level case design and finishes, coupled with a pre-aged old-timey feeling face, and then topped with a high tech blue-reflective crystal. Frankly, I’m not sure where to place this piece. It’s t0o basic in construction to be a heritage or throwback, and too forced and quartz-y to be a modern classic. That all said, it is certainly a unique take.
The Maskelyne Collection is a stunning series of classic timepieces from modern watchmakers Thomas Earnshaw which pays fitting tribute to one of the great thinkers in British maritime history.
On the Wrist
On the wrist, it certainly does make a statement, but I’m not sure what that statement is. Do I wear this with a steampunk outfit at a convention? Do I wear this with my RRL old timey suit? Do I wear this as my every day beater and adopt a fedora? Not sure. Quality wise, the fit and finish is fine – all things are where they should be, and the crystal is actually kinda cool with its blue reflectivity. The strap is nice and soft, and buckles easily. Of note, there’s a weird button at the 2oclock position right above the crown.. it kinda looks like a helium escape valve, but there’s of course no way something like that would be on a watch like this. So, after a small bit of research, I learned that it’s actually a pushed, and strangely only does one thing – adjust the month. Size is actually great for my medium sized wrist, and if this was a different style, the size would be great.
Should You Buy It?
Trapped in the 20s, obsessed with British navy history, or playing lots of old world dressup? Then yep, this would probably be a fun piece to add to your collection. However, if you’re looking for a true heritage watch that will age nicely, keep looking for an automatic. Or, looking for an already aged watch? Shop a used or vintage watch dealer, thrift market, or hop into RRL and get a vintage Rolex – those will keep their cool for years to come.
- Brand & Model: Thomas Earnshaw Maskelyne
- Price: USD $378
- Who we think it might be for: The entry level steam punk cosplayer?
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Remove that weird blued crystal and replace it with a domed one with no ar coating.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: They’re going for a specific style, which I can appreciate. I just don’t know what that style is.
- COLLECTION: MASKELYNE
- MODEL: ES-8031-05
- MOVEMENT: Japan Quartz 3 Hands Multifunction (Day, Date, Month and Moon Phase)
- CASE: 304 Stainless Steel
- CASE DIAMETER (mm): 45
- CASE THICKNESS (mm): 13
- CASE SHAPE: Round
- CASE COLOUR: Ionic Plating – Black
- DIAL COLOUR: Grey
- BAND: Genuine Leather Strap
- BAND COLOUR: Black
- BUCKLE: Strap Buckle
- BAND WIDTH (mm): 22-20
- WATER RESISTANCE: 5ATM
- WATCH WEIGHT (g): 100
- WARRANTY: 2 Years International