The James McCabe London Automatic watch is a large-faced, classically-styled uptown business ticker. It’s handmade, cleanly setup, and well suited for the man in a suit looking to make an immediate impression. This automatic piece seems to fit the bill for a classic, able to be worn day in and day out. And with its large 43mm diameter, it’s great for a larger wrist too.
Urbane, clean lines that nod the majesty and grandeur of London. Classicism, modernity and effortlessly timeless collection of timepieces that exhibit subtle but precise finishing and hand made workmanship.
On the Wrist
On my medium sized wrist, the London Automatic, clocking in at 43mm, seems a bit huge – or, just maybe it’s the perfect statement piece. Given its clean white lines and shiny chrome case, the piece definitely makes an impression when I wear it. The crystal is finely made, and has a very slight curve to it, giving it a lens-like effect that bends and refracts light, rather than simply reflecting it like a flat crystal would.
This small detail really does make the difference between a “meh” watch and something that actually could make a worthwhile impression. The buckle is finely polished, and complimented by a blue strap – understatedly engraved on the inside with the McCabe logo. For a fashion brand ticker, the McCabe London Automatic certainly tries to go the extra distance to feel more like a fine time piece and less like a simple trend.
Should You Buy It?
If you’re new to wearing a suit, and want a classic looking watch that will go with every suit you wear, and immediately make an impression when you roll up your sleeves, then yep, grab this one. Its’ sophisticated and clean looks will keep up with a developing career, and its automatic movement will stay relevant for years. The thick leather strap will age nicely, and I dont doubt that this thing will certainly get more comfortable with age. However, if you’re looking for a true heritage piece to pass down in the family, or one that’s really going to impress your watch collecting friends, then look elsewhere – this fashion brand revival of a heritage brand is just that – fashion.
- Brand & Model: James McCabe London Automatic
- Price: USD $310
- Who we think it might be for: The sophisticated first time watch buyer looking for a standout piece that turns heads and is kind of obvious.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Make it a tad smaller? This thing is huge!
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:Â I love the clean and clear dial, and solid weight. The cutout design on the inside of the band is great too.
- MOVEMENT Japan Automatic 3 Hands with Date
- CASE Stainless Steel Case
- DIAL Silver White
- DIAL DETAILS Applied Indexes
- SUBDIALS N/
- STRAP Genuine Leather Strap
- SUBDIALS N/A
- CASE SIZE 43mm
- CASE THICKNESS 11.5mm
- STRAP WIDTH 22mm
- LENS Hardened Mineral Lens
- WATER RESISTANCE 5 ATM waterproof
- WARRANTY 2 Years International