The Alpina Startimer Heritage is an addition to the venerable Startimer line that adds a bit of interest and history to the lineup. This piece has a slightly larger case, and most notable, an interesting rotating inner 24 hour ring, and independent GMT face-hand.
These novelty timepieces are featured with a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal case and an engraved case-back displaying the Alpina logo. This striking oversized case accentuates its presence on the wrist and enhances the originality of its design.
Striking me first is the quasi cushion shaped case – it’s beautiful, slightly elongated, and while it is a bit larger than previous models, doesn’t seem to large on the wrist. Additionally, I was delighted to discover the cool functionality of the inner GMT dial and outer 24 hour ring, working together to give an alternate timezone – but integrated so smoothly you’d never realize what was up until you played with it.
On the Wrist
On the wrist, the Startimer is pretty darn comfortable. The elongated profile makes it a bit more prone to rotating around my medium-sized wrist, however the nice leather strap breaks in quickly and is comfortable immediately. Additionally, I loved the easy legibility, and visual interest of the domed sapphire crystal.
- Time – Nice sweeping second, and a solid caliber movement to keep precise time.
- GMT Dial – The implementation of the rotating ring and inner face pointer come together for a slick package – I love how understated this feature is.
Should You Buy It?
If you’re in the market for a heritage brand, a heritage look, and a few useful, understated features, this is a great option. It makes a great weekend companion for the private aviator, or casual office watch. Looking for a serious flight instrument or a daily beater? Keep looking.
- Brand & Model: Alpina Startimer Heritage
- Price: USD $1,395
- Who we think it might be for: Private aviator looking for a cool weekend wearer.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Publish a bit more info on the GMT features – this is super cool!
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The classic aviator style and unique features.
Tech Specs from Alpina
- CALIBER: AL-555, Automatic caliber
- JEWELS: 26
- POWER RESERVE: 38 hours
- FUNCTIONS: Hours, Minutes, Seconds, GMT, Date
- MATERIAL: Stainless Steel case with silver internal turning ring
- CRYSTAL: Scratch – resistant sapphire crystal
- WATER-RESISTANCE: 10 ATM/100M/330FT
- DIAMETER: 42mm
- STRAP MATERIAL: Light brown leather strap