Not all that long ago, just the other week, in fact, we were mentioning Projects Watches in another writeupÂ that was talking about a watch that focused on a new, funkier sort of design-driven watch. Â This time around, weâ€™ve got an industrial designer and architect (both from Spain) powering up the Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon.
To say that Alvaro Alvarez and Maria Lopez have designed a watch that pulls itâ€™s cues from an airplane is a rather dramatic understatement. Â To start with, the central seconds handÂ calls to mind a compass, while the outer hour and minute hands (discs,Â actually, with indicators) look like gauge displays. Â Then, on the whole, the watch itself presents as a horizon indicator – you know, how far over one way or the other a plane is banking. Â Itâ€™s a bit more subtle, but itâ€™s a clever way to sneak in some aviation cues.
Powered by a Miyota 2036 quartz movement, theÂ Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon has a 40mm case and has either a leather strap (in two colors) or a stainless steel mesh bracelet, both in 20mm widths. Â Wrapping it all up, there is a 5 ATM water resistance rating, so itâ€™s not a watch forÂ swimming, but itâ€™ll of course stand up to the splashes life throws itâ€™s way.
TheÂ Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon will be available the second week ofÂ October, withÂ pricing expected to beÂ $145Â on leather, orÂ $165Â on steel. Â Thatâ€™s what I call affordable, for a watch thatâ€™s as unique as it is legible. Â projectswatches.com
- Brand & Model:Â Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon
- Price:Â $145 – $165
- Who we think it might be for:Â You like aviation, but youâ€™re not looking forÂ something that is a typical pilotâ€™s watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen? No, Iâ€™m not really theÂ target market for this one.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be:Â Hmm. Â Why not have the central seconds be an actual compass?
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:Â While I may not wear them, I can certainly get behind the idea of these half-hidden sorts of dials.
Tech Specs from Projects Watches
- Black IP Stainless Steel Case
- 40mm Diameter
- 20mm Black Leather Band
- 20mm Brown Leather Band
- 20mm Black Stainless Steel Mesh Band
- Miyota 2036 Movement
- 5 ATM