The Longines Legend Diver is a new take on a classic diver design, fitting traditional diver performance in a package that’s sleek enough to wear with a suit, functional enough to dive with, and tough enough to wear daily. I spend a week with the Legend Diver, and felt proud sporting it around town.
With over 185 years of rich history, Longines likes to revisit historical pieces that helped it achieve its reputation. An iconic piece from the watchmaking brand’s Heritage line, the Longines Legend Diver Watch is the reissue of a diving watch from 1960. While retaining the codes and design typical of the sixties, Longines has put its current expertise at the service of this contemporary edition to guarantee legibility, waterproofness and practicality. This watch combines high performance and timeless elegance.
On the Wrist
The Legend Diver is a remarkably slick divers watch. On my medium sized wrists, it wears smooth and easily – no major protrusions, and it doesn’t stick up very high. The curved lugs make it wear even closer to the wrist. Although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the asthetics of the rubber/leather strap, it is indeed comfortable to wear. And the sapphire domed crystal has no protection around it -no bezel or guard. For actual harsh diving, that’s going to be an issue, and to me even could present as a safety issues. But as far as the looks go, it gives the pice a style and glimmer that really stands out.
After a week of wear, I got used to the understated good looks of the Legend Diver, and was sad to part with it. If I had this in my personal collection, I’m sure it would be one of the few added to my weekly rotation of watches I wear for myself, not for reviews.
- Time (Hour, Minute, Second) – Clear, readable hands and markings.
- Date – Simple day number. Easy, but not sure if it’s necessary.
- Internal turning diving flange
- I love that the utility of a divers watch is preserved while keeping the external appearance slick and minimal.
- No bulky bezel – the diving bezel is hiding on the face.
- One question though – is that divers bezel adjustable underwater without compromising the case watertightness?
- The rough rubber and leather strap works, but in my opinion it’s not the best – stick with the heavy milanese, or slick leather straps.
- Is that divers bezel adjustable underwater without compromising the case watertightness?
- Brand & Model: Longines Legend Diver L3.6188.8.131.52
- Price: USD$2,300
- Who we think it might be for: Stylish diver who’s mostly looking for a minimally flashy dress watch with an adventurous story
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Ditch the rubber/leather strap
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Great looking face and domed crystal in a slick package
Longines Legend Diver L3.6184.108.40.206
- Shape : Round
- Material : Stainless steel
- Glass : Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, with several layers of anti-reflective coating on the
- Case Back : Screw-down case back
- Dimension : Ø 42.00 mm
- Water Resistance : Water-resistant to 30 bar
- Case Specificities : Internal turning diving flange
DIAL AND HANDS
- Colour : Black lacquered polished
- Hour markers : Painted Arabic numerals and indexes
- Hands : Silvered polished hands
MOVEMENT AND FUNCTIONS
- Movement Type : Automatic
- Caliber : L633
- Movement Description : Self winding mechanical movement beating at 28’800 vibrations per hour
and providing 38 hours of power reserve
- Functions : Hours, minutes, seconds and date
- Chronograph : No
- Bracelet/Strap : Strap
- Material : Leather strap
- Colour : Black
- Buckle : With buckle
- Size : M : Also available with XL strap