Mondaine watches are instantly recognizable with a unified style across their dials and handsets. Â Particularly, you have the black hands and indices set against a white dial, most commonly, along with the red lollipop seconds hand. Â So, how do you go about making a model a bit more unique? Â You add some lume to the mix. Â But you see, theÂ Mondaine stop2go Backlight does not do it in the way you would expect.
Now, yes, there is such a thing as a â€œdarkâ€ luminous paint, but that generally offers poor dark visibility to it (though, better than nothing in most cases). Â On theÂ Mondaine stop2go Backlight, things went in a different direction. Â As you might have guessed already from the name of the watch, itâ€™s the back of the hands that are coated with luminous paint. Â On one hand, a glowing backlight to the hands sounds (and looks) pretty cool, but then the practical concern hits – how does the lume get charged?
Iâ€™m not going to pretend to have any inside knowledge of the watch (not have I seen one in person), but we can make some educated guesses here. Â First, weâ€™re going to assume itâ€™s a healthy bit of lume on there, waiting to suck up whatever light it can. Â Second, youâ€™ve got that bright white dial, which is going to to reflect a good bit of light back up onto the hands. Â Itâ€™s difficult to tell, but the inner portion of the case looks like it might be polished as well, further bouncing light around to the back of the hands.
Frankly, I find the approach used on theÂ Mondaine stop2go Backlight to be pretty clever, and Iâ€™m surprised we havenâ€™t seen it in more use. Â I mean, itâ€™s a great alternative to dressier watches that are trying to decide between a tiny strip of lume, or none at all. Â With this approach, Mondaine kept the look and style of their watches unchanged, but added a very functional (and cool visual) touch to the watch. Â One that I certainly would not see showing up some more. Â If you want to try this out for yourself, you can pick up your ownÂ Mondaine stop2go Backlight for $265. Â mondaine-usa.com
- Brand & Model:Â Mondaine stop2go Backlight
- Price:Â $265 and up
- Who we think it might be for:Â You like the Mondaine look, and want something subtly different
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:Â The lume is the thing, of course!
Tech Specs from Mondaine
- Model number: Â MST.4101B.LB
- Function: Â stop2go, BackLight
- Movement (manufacture. Ref.): Â MONDAINE stop2go cal. 58-02
- Movement (type): Â Quartz
- Case size/diameter (mm): Â 41.00
- Case material: Â Stainless steel brushed
- Case back: Â Caseback with Screws
- Crown: Â Regular Gasket
- Crystal/Glass material: Â Anti-reflective coated sapphire crystal
- Water resistance (m/ft/atm): Â 30/100/3
- Strap/Bracelet material: Â Genuine leather
- Strap/Bracelet finishing: Â Brushed
- Strap width at lug (mm): Â 20.00
- Illumination: Â BackLight
- Origin: Â Swiss Made