Moduco is getting set to release its very first offering into the wild, and initial impressions are positive. The Kickstarter campaign runs through the end of February, and has successfully reached its funding goal. This watch will happen, so letâ€™s take a look.
Moduco, or Modern Urban Company, was founded by two college roommates with experience in the watch industry. The inspiration for the self-named Moduco timepiece comes from the modern urban environment, and will be made primarily in Switzerland. Iâ€™m normally not one to put much stock in the various â€œInspired Byâ€ tag lines that seem to drive the Kickstarter watch business, but in this case I think Moducoâ€™s has merit.
We havenâ€™t been able to get our hands on one yet, but from the graphics offered up on the website and Kickstarter page this piece is putting its own unique stamp on the micro brand watch world. At first glance, the large 44mm case looks to be made up of two completely separate parts. A central housing appearing to be cut from a hollow bar of stainless steel is captured within an outer housing containing the lugs. In reality thatâ€™s not the case, but the effect looks great in the pictures.
The upper surface of the bezel has a brushed finished cut on the diagonal. Itâ€™s separated from the tall vertical case side by a forty-five degree polished bevel. The chunky bezel stands tall over the sand blasted base portion of the case containing the movement. Moduco has done a very nice job combining the various finishing techniques into a cohesive and unique design.
The multi-level dial is spartan. It has a full 1mm tall stainless brushed Roman numeral sitting at 12 oâ€™clock that’s said to be inspired by a city skyline. This is the only applied marker, and rests atop a sandwich dial that exposes a lacquered sunray sub-dial at each of the remaining eleven indices. The hands are all brushed stainless with the hour and minute baton hands skeletonized and lumed. Itâ€™s minimalism done well.
The Moduco will be offered with either a Rhonda 513 quartz movement (no date) or a Sellita SW200 automatic (with date). In the automatic version the movement is exposed behind a sapphire crystal case back. The Rhonda-equipped model will have a solid case back. Each model is offered in either a white or black dial in various stainless and black PVD combinations. A bezel treatment in yellow or rose gold is also available.
The Kickstarter campaign runs through March 1st and is fully funded. There are still several quartz models available at $299, while the Sellita automatic starts at $499Â with 10 positions still available at that level. Each ships with a leather strap and choice of NATO. For an extra $20 you can swap out the NATO for a mesh bracelet. MSRP once the Kickstarter campaign is over will be $599 and $999 respectively. moduco-watches.com
Upon seeing pictures of this watch, my wife immediately wanted me to order a rose gold version for her. I informed her it was 44mm and she changed her mind. I think the wise move for Moduco would be to also offer this piece in a 38-40mm size to appeal to many in the collector community who prefer a moreÂ modestlyÂ sized watch.
- Brand & Model: Moduco
- Price: $299, $499
- Who we think it might be for:Â Anyone looking for something leaning towards the minimalist camp.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?Â I actually might, but would like to see it in the flesh first
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I’d really like to see the indices painted with lume. (Note: Stretch goal of the campaign includes a fully lumed sandwich dial)
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: I’m not normally a minimalist kind of guy, but I like the solid-chunk-of-billet look of the Moduco.
- Material: 316L Stainless Steel
- Size: 44m x 12.3mm, 52mm Lug-to-Lug
- Case Back: Solid On Quartz Model, Sapphire Exhibition On Automatic – Secured By Six Screws
- Crystal: Sapphire With Internal AR Coating
- Water Resistance: 100 atm
- Inter-lug Width: 22mm
- MOVEMENT: Sellita SW200 or Rhonda 513
- Functions: Hour, Minute, Central Seconds
- Date Included With Automatic Version
- Material: Leather
- Clasp: Signed Pin Buckle