Yesterday, we talked about a “baby” Grand Seiko. Well, today, we’re talking about one that truly is a Grand Seiko, one that ticks away at one very, very quick pace – the Grand Seiko SGBH263G.
Now, with the watch we spoke about yesterday, that was a Japanese domestic market (JDM) model. On the flip side of the coin, this Grand Seiko SGBH263G is available expressly outside of Japan. One would think that they would be just as interested in a movement that runs at 36,000 VPH as we are, but maybe there’s other forces at play here.
Looking at the watch, the Grand Seiko SGBH263G is very vintage, and very definitely a homage to their past catalog (I mean, you really don’t see gold on hands and indices on a linen dial much these days). The case does sort of break that illusion a bit, though. At 39.5mm in diameter, it’s definitely more modern. And at 13.1mm thick, it’s surprisingly tall for a watch of this style.
Some of that is no doubt due to the movement itself, but it’s surprising that a watch of this style (and one that commands a $6,200 price tag) isn’t a bit more to the slimmer side of the scale. Oh well – with there only being 453 of these being made, one presumes that you’re not super-likely to see one of these in the wild. Which, you know what? I’m fine with – there are plenty of other Seiko options to be had, particularly vintage-inspired. If there’s any you’d like us to take a look at, let us know below or over on Slack, and we’ll see what we can get in for review from the brand. grand-seiko.com
Tech Specs from Seiko
- Caliber 9S85
- Driving system: Automatic
- Vibrations: 36,000 vibrations per hour (10 beats per second)
- Accuracy: +5 to – 3 seconds per day (when static)
- Power reserve: 55 hours
- Number of jewels: 37
- Stainless steel case with crocodile strap bracelet and three – fold clasp with push button release
- Box – shaped sapphire crystal with anti – reflective coating
- Screw down see – through case back
- Water resistance: 3 bar.
- Diameter: 39.5mm, Thickness: 13.1 mm , Lug width: 19mm
- Overseas model, not available in Japan
- Recommended retail price: $6,200 USD
- Special Edition limited to 453 pcs