It seems to be a good year for watch brand anniversaries – specifically, 10-year ones. Â A little bit ago, we told you about a commemorative watch from Magrette. Â Now, we’ve got news of another 10-year watch, the succinctly name Triwa TIO.
Now, it has been awhile since we’ve talked about Triwa, but I have kept a finger on their pulse, so to speak. Â They have some very nice designs, and are executed in interesting ways (i.e. acetate cases) that mix up the designs while keeping things very affordable. Â For theÂ Triwa TIO, things hew to that aesthetic, but upgrade things in a few key ways.
The first significant change (to my eyes) with theÂ Triwa TIO is the fact that the 38mm case is formed from stainless steel. Â I’m used to various resins and the likes from Triwa, but seeing steel here, makes for a decidedly more upmarket case. Â That said, they still keep things compact, with a smaller (for this era) 38mm diameter making theÂ Triwa T10 ready for a variety of wrists.
The other big change for theÂ Triwa TIO (as compared to prior Triwa watches) is the movement. Â While I’m used to seeing quartz movements, this time around, we’ve got ourselves an automatic. Â The Miyota 9015 is (or should be) well-known to many of our readers, and make sense here for theÂ Triwa TIO. Â Â Given that Triwa is keeping this watch to only 300 pieces, the movement allows a mechanical, while keeping things more affordable.
The third area we’re seeing an upgrade on theÂ Triwa TIO is with the straps. Â I’m sure they’ve had leather straps before, but I’m more used to seeing things in textile from the brand. Â For theÂ Triwa TIO, they’ve gone with leather from theÂ TÃ¤rnsjÃ¶ Tannery (coincidentally, the same tannery that provided the leather in the straps for this month’s giveaway). Â Again, this takes things in a more upmarket direction.
In terms of overall style, theÂ Triwa TIO immediately spoke to me. Â It’s a clean three-hander look with lots of contrast from the dial to the multi-colored handset. Â The chapter ring and bezel are minimal, but there, and it creates an overall very balanced look. Â For those more familiar with the historical catalog fro the brand, it’s also pulling visual references from the decade. Â Coming in atÂ $629, I think the Triwa TIO makes for a rather stunning way to commemorate being in business for 10 years. Â Here’s to (at least) ten more! Â triwa.com
- Brand & Model:Â Triwa TIO
- Price: $629
- Who we think it might be for: Â You’ve wanted to get in on that Swedish style, but wanted something where steel is the answer
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?Â It is a handsome watch – and could make me forget those tortoise shell acetate creations in their catalog
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Â Hmm. Â Let’s get crazy, and throw some color onto that chapter ring.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Â It’s the profile of that bezel as seen from straight on, surprisingly.
Tech Specs from Triwa
- Watch case: Stainless steel
- Glass: Sapphire glass
- Backplate: Stainless steel and glass
- Strap: Brown organic leather strap from TÃ¤rnsjÃ¶ Tannery
- Movement: Miyota 9015 automatic Size: 38 mm