Like â€˜em or leave â€˜em, smart watches are hard to ignore. Â Once the domain solely of the technorati, many a person now has some sort of wearable that is connected to their phones. Â And, now that we have fashion brands getting into the smartwatch game, well, they have definitely arrived and are safe to consider mainstream. Â The latest entries come courtesy of Michael Kors, with the just-announced Sofie and Grayson watches.
Both of these watches are powered by the Android Wear 2.0 platform, so a lot of the functionality (say, by telling your watch â€œOK Googleâ€ and then another command) is pretty well set and known at this point. Â And, of course, with this platform, you can certainly extend the functionality of the watch with various apps and widgets. Â So, rather than get into that, letâ€™s focus on the looks of the watches.
And Iâ€™m going to narrow things even more for you. Â Because, frankly, the Michael Kors Grayson (ostensibly targeted at a male audience) just looks uninspired, with the blocky lugs and â€œchronographâ€ pushers. Â Other than the logo on the (AMOLED) dial, you couldnâ€™t tell this watch from anything else. Â The Michael Kors Sofie, on the other hand, now that looks different.
Now, I will admit, a lot of that is down to the default dial design that theyâ€™ve placed on theÂ Michael Kors Sofie. Â It just looks a lot less utilitarian than the male-oriented options seem to be, while still giving things plenty of actual functionality. Â Additionally, the pave bezel (which is normally something I do not care for) help to separate the Sofie from the rest of the smartwatch brethren. Â Sure, it would stand out like a sore thumb at the gym or on the trail, but for anything else, itâ€™s a solid look.
Now, smartwatches arenâ€™t for everyone (Iâ€™ve yet to have a good use case for putting one with any regularity on my own wrist), but for those who like them, well, a brand like Michael Kors putting itâ€™s name on a design certainly gives some more confidence in the looks of the thing. Â Well, maybe not with the generic Grayson, but the Sofie is a different story all together. Â If you find yourself intrigued, you can pick one of these up now, with pricing starting at $350. Â Â destinationkors.com
- Brand & Model: Michael Kors Sofie and Grayson smartwatches
- Price: Starts at $350
- Who we think it might be for: You want a smartwatch that looks less like a second screen for your phone and something more like a fashion accessory
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen? Nope, not particularly. Â Your use case may vary.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Try something different with the menâ€™s line – go for a dressier, less sporty, look, perhaps.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: On the Sofie, itâ€™s actually that default dial – classy, sparkly, and plenty of info. Â On the Grayson? Â Not much.
- Exclusive Michael Kors display watch faces, which change with a swipeâ€”whether itâ€™s a digital chronograph designed for the gym or glittering, animated pavÃ© for night
- Hundreds of possible combinations of display faces with customizable colors and subdials.
- A touchscreen display smartwatch powered by Android Wear 2.0 so you can:
- Talk to your Google Assistantâ„¢Â by holding the power button or saying â€œOk Google.â€ Ask about weather, set a reminder, get directions and more
- Download third-party apps easily through the Google Play Store
- Customize watch faces, color combinations and information to suit your style, your mood and your life
- Create your very own watch face with your Instagramâ„¢Â and Facebookâ„¢Â photos with theÂ My SocialÂ microapp (exclusively on MICHAEL KORS ACCESS touchscreen smartwatches)
- Track runs, bike rides, strength training and more through Google Fit
- Measure calories, pace, distance and additional exercises based on settings
- Stream music right from your watch when you are connected to phone or WiFi with the Google Play Music app
- Interchangeable leather, silicone and stainless-steel straps
- Styles for men and women
- Magnetic charging
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $123.72Was: $128.73
Price: $102.93Was: $195.00