As Iâ€™ve said in the past, Magrette holds a special place in my clockwork heart. Â While itâ€™s true that I have reviewed a lot of their watches, itâ€™s more than that. Â You see, right around the time that I started writing here at WWR, is when I got my first automatic watch. Â That watch, of course, was the Magrette Regattare 2011. Â While I just recently passed the six year mark here, Magrette has been around a bit long. Â To commemorate the brandâ€™s 10 year anniversary, theyâ€™re releasing the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara.
Now, to clarify – the Kara in the watches name is not named after a woman (at least, the release materials donâ€™t say they are). Â Instead, the Kara here is a Maori word that means â€˜flagâ€™. Â Why is that important? Â Well, you see, that informs the color palette of theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara. Â The blue, red, and white are done up to honor the New Zealand flag (which is where Magrette calls home, if you werenâ€™t aware).
Now, if that was all Magrette did for this new watch – put a new coat of paint onto an existing model – Iâ€™d still be happy. Â They have upped the ante some more, though. Â That 44mm cushion case is made, this time around, out of grade 5 titanium (rather than stainless steel), which will of course bring lightness and toughness to the party, with a different feel to it. Â All that space-age material is protecting another change, in that of the movement.
Many of the watches Iâ€™ve reviewed from Magrette have feature Miyota movements. Â And it makes sense – theyâ€™re reliable, have a good name (and serviceability), and they help keep watch costs down. Â For theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara, though, Magrette has gone Swiss. Â An STP1-11 automatic, to be precise. Â And, as we wrote about in our Aevig Corvid review, the STP 1-11 is a Fossil-backed answer to the ETA 2824. Â In short, should be a rather nice movement to deal with.
Oh, and rounding out the firsts for Magrette, you will actually be able to see the movement. Â TheÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara features an exhibition caseback (in sapphire), while still maintaining a 500m WR rating. Â Not that you or I is likely to be hitting those depths – ever. Â Should you want to do some more realistic diving, though, the lumed ceramic bezel will certainly help you keep track of dive time. Â Or, you know, parking meter timing.
Frankly, I find a lot to like about theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara. Â Along with all of the upgrades to materials, the blue color scheme speaks to me (my favorite color, so no small stretch there), including the color-matched rubber strap and travel case. Â Total price for theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara will be $685, which is pretty affordable with the movement and titanium case. Frankly, I think itâ€™s a steal from my experience with Magrette, and right now, if youâ€™re interested, you only need to put $200 down. The remainder will be due in December 2017, which is the expected completion date for the watch. Â Do let us know if you pick one up, and in the meantime, weâ€™ll see what we can do to get one in for review. Â preorder page
- Brand & Model:Â Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara
- Price: $685 (plus $35 shipping)
- Who we think it might be for: You want a quality, cushion-case diver with a Swiss movement
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen? I think so, yeah – this is a beauty of a watch, and the titanium would be a nice addition
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I wonder if a non-pro version would allow for a slimmer case (with a then reduced WR rating)
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Blue, blue, and blue. Â And titanium. Â And ceramic. Â And a Swiss movement. Â Shall I go on?
Tech Specs from Magrette
- MOVEMENT: Swiss Made Caliber STP1-11 automatic movement with hacking seconds, 28800bph, manual winding, Incabloc shock absorption and Nivaflex NM mainspring
- CASE DIMENSIONS: 44mm excluding the crown, 53mm lug-to-lug, 15.3mm tall, 24mm lug width
- CASE FINISH: Brushed Titanium grade 5 (brushed) with stainless steel case back
- BEZEL: Ceramic (matte finish), engraved and fully lumed
- CROWN: Screw down crown with red safety alert collar
- CRYSTAL: Sapphire (double domed), AR coating
- DIAL, HANDS & BEZEL: Super Luminova BGW9 (blue in color)
- WATER-RESISTANCE: 500m/1650ft Water resistance. Viton gasket used on case back.
- STRAP: All new blue FKM rubber integrated strap with logo, name and customized deployant buckle