Crownarch is a new watch brand from the UK, focused on making nicely designed watches at an affordable price. We’ve heard that song before, but here it delivers on exactly that.
What lies before us is a two register chronograph, date, with straight lugs, and a Milanese mesh strap. There are applied baton markers and a printed minute track at the periphery of the dial. The strap is a comfortable mesh, neither the finest or the coarsest we’ve seen. Personally, I prefer a finer mesh – it’s a personal preference that feels more smooth and refined on the wrist to me.
The bracelet is signed with Crownarch on its clasp, and the dial is signed at the 9 o’clock position. Beyond that, the watch is very clean, uncluttered with other decoration. The decoration is in its clean execution, with choice of metals, choice of dial color, and plain, readable dial.
The silver-cased model comes with a black dial, silver batons, and silver hands. There is no lume here – it’s not that sort of chronograph. There are no screw-down crowns or pushers. The back is screwed on, and the case gently curves down from the sides to the casebook, making it easy to access the crown for time and date setting. This is a gentleman’s chronograph, for a more elegant age.
Thanks to the mesh bracelet, the curved bottom case, and the top case that pushes the dial to the edges, no metal bezel required, the 43mm case wears comfortably. It’s 10.5 mm tall, which helps it on the wrist. It’s also relatively light, which makes it such an easy go-to choice, for casual or dress wear.
The Crownarch watch is not an expensive watch as watches go. It’s listed at 145 GBP, or about 180 USD. For the money, you can wear a watch that looks simple, clean, and wears comfortably. If you’d like to wear a Crownarch chronograph, go to crownarch.com.
- Brand & Model: Crownarch Chrono S1
- Price: 145 GBP or about $180 USD
- Who we think it might be for: You like a tasteful watch, that’s comfortable and can be worn anywhere.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I’d like a bracelet made of finer, thinner metal mesh.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The plain clarity of its character: it is what it is, without frippery.
Tech Specs from Crownarch
- Case size: 43mm
- Height: 10.5mm
- Case material: steel (silver or rose gold)
- Crystal: flat
- Strap: stainless steel mesh bracelet
- Movement: Japanese VD51 quartz movement