I am not a fan of full blown smart watches, but analog activity trackers have always piqued my interest, and now Timex has entered the space with the Timex iQ+ collection, with the Timex iQ+ Move as the newest option.Â Offering versions for both men and women, the iQ+ collection offers activity tracking, an Indiglo backlight and a low key design for $150.
The first thing I see when I look at watches like this is, frankly, a watch.Â For me, that is a good thing.Â I don’t wear a watch because I want a mini-computer on my wrist.Â I carry one in my pocket, I just want to see the time.Â But it would be nice to get a glance at how I am doing against an activity goal, and wouldn’t mind getting an idea of how much restful sleep I actually get.Â I don’t like the bracelet style trackers, so options like this are really by best choice if I want these functions.Â When paired with your smartphone, the watch will automatically adjust the time and date, a nice feature for travelers.
The Timex iQ+ Move is a simplified and dressier version of the Metropolitan+, with tracks activities in a sportier package with an analog look.Â For men, there is a stainless case with either a black dial and silver hands/indexes or a white dial with gold accents, or a gunmetal or black case, each with dark grey dials and a splash of color.Â The latter two look like they come on silicone straps, while the first two are on leather straps.Â For women, there is a stainless case with a cream dial or a gold case with a white dial, each with gold hands and indexes.Â As with all iQ+ watches, the batteries are non-rechargeable and should run for about a year, which mans you don’t have to decide if you want to wear the watch at night as a sleep tracker or leave it on the charging stand, a big drawback in my opinion of full blown smartwatches.Â The phone connects to a Timex app that runs on both iOS and Android devices.
- Brand & Model: Timex iQ+ Move
- Price: $150
- Who we think it might be for:Â You want a sleep and activity tracker built into a watch that looks like a watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: Â I might.Â No, I don’t really wear quartz, but if I want this functionality, this is the type of watch I would pick up
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: A blue handset against the white dial
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is an affordable way to get these functions in a watch that looks like a watch.
Tech Specs from Timex
- Model: Timex iQ Move +
- Movement: Quartz, but otherwise not specified
- Case Diameter: Nor specified
- Case Thickness: 13mm (men)/ 12.5mm (women)
- Crystal: Mineral
- Other Features:Â Sleep tracker, activity tracker, auto set of date and time from paired smartphone, Indiglo backlight.
- Water Resistance: 50M
- Strap: Leather or silicone, with optional steel mesh with quick release pins.
- Lug Width: 20mm (men)/18mm (women)