I will freely admit, there is a soft spot in my mechanical watch heart when it comes to Magrette. Â This is because they produced the first automatic that I had to grace my wrist, and the smell of that pine box that it came in sticks with me to this day. Â Well, that, and the fact that they’re producing some great designs at lovely prices. Â The newest Magrette Moana Pacific Professional (in steel) follow that trend, and adds something new to the mix.
Now, fans of the brand will realize that theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional is a line that has been around for quite some time, and follows with the (all but) signature cushion case. Â There are two rather interesting updates to this model, though. Â The first update is the fumed bezel. Â I like lumed bezels, and when you tell me that it is Super Luminova C3 being painted on, then you’re in for a light show.
It also helps that the lume can be applied pretty heavily, given that the bezel insert has recessed numerals and indices. Â Part of me wishes that the lume was in there heavy enough to make for a smooth upper surface, but the recess makes it look a bit more visually interesting, and manages to give that lume some protection as well.
The next upgrade is the movement. Â Prior to this, Magrette had been using Miyota movements in theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional. Â This is a Swiss Made movement (and all that label implies, politics and all) so you get that prestige boost in the watch. Â I’ve not experienced these movements in person, but from all that I’ve read online, they seem like a solid choice – and one I’ve a feeling we may be seeing more of.
The rest of theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional is the watch we’ve come to know and love, with a 44mm case, sapphire crystal, 500m WR (which then brings along the HEV). Â As with the other Magrette models, theÂ Magrette Moana Pacific Professional is limited to 500 pieces. Â If you get in on the pre-order now, you’ll be putting down $200, but your final (total) price will be $545 (plus shipping), which is a $100 discount over the retail price. Â As an added bonus, you’ll also get the leather and NATO straps, along with the stock PU one. Â All in all, a very attractive package for someone who has not yet jumped into the cushion case waters. Â magrette.com
- Brand & Model: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Steel
- Price: $545 (pre-order); $645 (retail)
- Who we think it might be for:Â You somehow don’t already own a Magrette, and you only want Swiss movements
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: Â Â Hmm. Â Probably not – I like Magrette, but I tend to prefer the Dual Time models over the Moana Pro
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be:Â Just curious what a fully smooth bezel insert would be like
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:Â The movement is intriguing, of course, but it’s primarily that lumed bezel
Tech Specs from Magrette
- MODEL:Â MOANA PACIFIC PROFESSIONAL STEEL
- MOVEMENT:Â SWISS MADE STP1-11 AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT WITH HACKING SECONDS
- CASE DIAMETER:Â 44MM EXCLUDING THE CROWN
- CASE FINISH:Â STAINLESS STEEL (BRUSHED)
- BEZEL:Â STEEL (BRUSHED FINISH).
- CROWN:Â SCREW DOWN CROWN.
- CRYSTAL:Â SAPPHIRE (DOUBLE DOMED), AR COATING.
- DIAL AND HANDS:Â SUPER LUMINOVA C3 (GREEN IN COLOR)
- PRESSURE VALVE:Â FUNCTIONAL PRESSURE ESCAPE VALVE, PROTECTING THE WATCH AGAINST PRESSURE DIFFERENCES THAT CAN OCCUR BELOW 500 METERS OF DEPTH
- WATER-RESISTANCE:Â 500M/1650FT WATER RESISTANCE. VITON GASKET USED ON CASE BACK.
- STRAP:Â ALL NEW BLACK PU RUBBER STRAP WITH LOGO, NAME AND CUSTOMIZED DEPLOYMENT BUCKLE. OTHER STRAP OPTION WILL BE LEATHER.
- LIMITED EDITION:Â 500
- PRE-ORDER PRICE:Â $545.00 PLUS $35.00 USD SHIPPING WORLDWIDE.