By now, you should all be familiar with the products that ManchesterWatchWorks is producing. Â I’ve seen most of their products, and have become a fan, and have managed to convince Victor to jump on the bandwagon. Â With their latest project, MWW shows off how quickly a small brand can react to the request of the community. Â In this case, it’s a remake of the very first professional diver made by Seiko, the 62MAS.
Now, I’m not going to go into the history of the watch, as our pals over at Fratello Watches have that covered (right here). Â From looking through the pre-order page over at MWW, the renders are showing a fairly faithful take on the original. Â Fittingly, it does feature a Seiko movement (in this case, the NE15). Â Now, a watch like this is likely to be divisive amongst our readers, as it is a straight-up homage.
Whereas guys like Doc Vail (with his recent NTH Subs) mix things up a bit (check out Victor’s take on that), there is a whole world out there of homage watches that are exact (or almost exact) copies of the originals. Â For me, so long as they don’t try to pass themselves off as the originals (i.e., no original brand logos, etc), then I’m good with that. In fact, one of the first mechanical watches I ever picked up was a homage watch.
Frankly, it’s a good way (in my book) for people to get a modern, reliable, interpretation of a favorite watch that they have had their eye on. Â You can get a watch that is difficult to pick up, either due to it’s pricing, relative rarity, or both. Â In this case, the originals of this Seiko don’t appear to be easy to come by, at least in good condition. Â Here, you can get a brand-new version of it for justÂ $350, which seems like a tidy price for those big blocks of lume. Â Doug has been making some solid watches, and I have no doubt this will continue the trend. Â Do let us know in the comments if you pre-order one! Â manchesterwatchworks.com
Tech Specs from MWW
- 40mm x 47mm 316L stainless steel case
- Seiko NE15 automatic movement, 21,600 bph, 50+ hour power reserve, finely finished, quickset date, hack setting, manual winding capability
- 200m water resistance
- Double domed sapphire crystal with inner AR
- 120 click unidirectional bezel with aluminum insert
- Superluminova C3 lumed dial, hands and bezel 12:00 marker
- Screwed down and engraved crown and caseback
- Black tropic style rubber strap, 20mm drilled through lugs
- Sunburst grey dial finish with choice of ’62mas’ logo or MWW triangle logo
- Each piece will be individually numbered; random numbers will be assigned upon fulfillment