Yes, you read that right. Â No, they are not getting into the sushi business. Â Instead, RAW is an acronym for their new lineup, which stands for Refined Articulated Watches. Â Interestingly enough, for the first watch introduced in the line, it carries the name of R.A.W. 2. Â Why this watch, now? Â Well, moVas had been getting requests for a dressier watch (though Iâ€™d say the Officer line could fill that role), and that brings us to the watch weâ€™re talking about today. Â Letâ€™s have a closer look at what the moVas R.A.W. 2 brings to the table, shall we?
For starters, theÂ moVas R.A.W. 2 has a traditional case shape – itâ€™s the first truly round/circular case from the brand, and, at 43mm, itâ€™s actually their smallest to-date as well. Â Of course, if you are familiar with the brand at all, you know they wouldnâ€™t just leave it with a simple round case. Â No, here, the case is made out of Grade 2 titanium, with a shot-peened surface that gives things a very matte look to it. Â Thatâ€™s one thing, but then when you add in the polished (and hinged) bronze (CuSn8, for you materials guys) lugs, you are starting to see something a good deal different with theÂ moVas R.A.W. 2.
I donâ€™t want to brand theÂ moVas R.A.W. 2 as a steampunk watch, but it does have some elements that would speak to that, albeit a bit more refined. Â Especially once you consider what you have for the dial. Â Or, more accurately, the lack of a dial. Â The upper register is where you have the hours and minutes (blue hand for the minutes), and then you have a central seconds hand that marks out the time against the ball-bearing indices. Â All of this is spinning around and driven by a double balance wheel setup, courtesy of the Cal 05 movement from the Shanghai Watch Co. Â No, you probably havenâ€™t heard of this movement before, but it fits the brand (moVas = movements of Asia), and it does give a clever look to things.
And looking at theÂ moVas R.A.W. 2 is certainly what youâ€™ll do. Â The curved sapphire crystal has been extended out to the edges of the case, almost making the upper surface of the case look more like a retaining ring that is under the glass. Â This allows the eye to really focus in on the movement – and with those twin balance wheels, you will have plenty of movement going on. Â This may be labelled as a dress watch, but frankly I see this more as a fun everyday sort of an option – unless you find yourself in a top hat and green-tinted glasses when you are dressed up.
No matter how you decide to wear it, theÂ moVas R.A.W. 2 is certainly a very unique look, and should make for a comfortable fit with the reasonable case size and hinged lug setup. Â If you want to order one of the 50 being made for yourself, you can head on over to this pageÂ for instructions, and be prepared to bring along $1,900Â to secure yours. Â Iâ€™ve a feeling that, much like many of the other moVas designs, theÂ moVas R.A.W. 2 will be a bit polarizing – either you like it or you donâ€™t. Â For me, I do like it, but Iâ€™d like to hear what you think of this new lineup in the comments below. Â movaswatches.com
- Brand & Model: Â moVas R.A.W. 2
- Price: Â $1,900
- Who we think it might be for: You seek out the unique, in terms of design, material combinations, and movement usage
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: Â I would certainly wear it, but it would be sparingly, and thatâ€™s just not fair to do to a watch of this nature. Â So, I have to put this one down as a â€œnoâ€.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I donâ€™t know how it would be done, but it the second track ball bearings could get some movement going, that could be fun.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: At first, it was the balance wheel, but then it was more the articulated lugs – both for the movement, as well as the contrast in material colors it brought.
Tech Specs from moVas
- Case:Â Grade 2 titanium caseÂ with deep shot peened surface. Polished, hinged CuSn8 bronze lugs. Case is 43mm across. 41-52mm lug hole- lug hole (hinged and adjustable). 9.6mm height to top of bezel/ 13.4mm height including domed sapphire.
- Caseback:Â Exhibition caseback in Grade 2 titaniumÂ with deep shot peened surface. EngravedÂ and signed. Numbered 01-50.
- Glass:Â 4mm thick doubleÂ domed americanÂ sourced scratch resistant sapphire colourless. Single Anti Reflective coating applied internally. 1mm flat americanÂ sourced scratch resistant sapphire colourless caseback.
- Movement:Â Cal 05Â Produced by Shanghai Watch Co. 40Â Jewels, beating at 21600bph, 35H Power Reserve, Â Dark Frosted plates and Gold PNP balance cocks. Antishock protection system on balance wheel.+/- 30s/ day.
- Dial: Matt Dark greyÂ painted brass skeleton dial. Applied Roman numeral hour indices (XII, III, VI, IX) Â in brushed bronze colour plating.
- Hands:Â Faceted and skeletonised brass hour hand Â in polished PNP. Â Heat blued steel skeletonised arrow shaped minute hand. Heat blued steel skeletonised seconds hand.
- Strap/ Bracelet:Â Genuine brown lizard 24mm strap with matching stitching and leather backing and black crown printed 24mm leather strap with matching stitching and leather backing.
- Buckle:Â 2pc Tang buckle with â€˜Vâ€™ logo cutout, and â€œmoVasâ€ deep engraved on sides in CuSn6 Bronze.
- Crown: Â Extra LargeÂ â€œVâ€ logo deep etched crown with double locking screw down mechanism, deep shot peened to match case and knurled surface.
- Water Resistance:Â 10atm.
- Power Reserve: 35 hours, fully wound.
- Warranty: 2 year.