If you are the sort who likes to obsess about the details of your watch, a recent Kickstarter launch is likely going to be of interest to you. We have seen plenty of projects that offer you some choices when it comes to things like dial colors or case finishes, but this is the first time that I have seen a project go with a fully customizable watch as the reward. Let’s have a look at what Revolo is offering in exchange for your contribution.
Something like the Revolo is a great idea for a tinkerer. Or for those instances where you thought all the details of a watch were spot-on for what you like, except for, say, the handset or the crown. Well, here, you can control all of that. You can select a case size (which dictates shape) and finish, bezel, movement (Miyota 515 quartz, Miyota 821A automatic, or Swiss-made STP automatic), dial (including popular sandwich and flieger styles, amongst others), handset, seconds hand, crown, bracelet and straps (all of which are quick change), and buckle style. If that’s not enough, you can also get some custom engraving on the caseback as well.
With Revolo, you are not getting ground-breaking changes in design. Here, instead, you are getting tried and true details and styling that you can mix and match to build your own perfect watch. Having done this sort of custom build in the past, I will caution you that this sort of endeavor can be simultaneously exciting and overwhelming. This comes along with all of the choice – with so much open to your discretion, one may feel the pressure of getting every detail just right. Fortunately, the configurator will allow you to play around with the various choices and figure out what you would want.
Along with the abundance of choice, the Revolo watch also offers some pretty nice value. Some of this is dependent on exchange rates, but you can build a quartz-driven Revolo starting at $230 (with strap/bracelet quantities changing the price) , a Miyota 821A version starting at $345 (again, strap/bracelet numbers change the price), or the Swiss-made STP movement watches starting at $495. Having all of the choices in the basic design, as well as choosing your own price point (based on movement and whether or not you want a bracelet included) means there is no end of choice with the Revolo. This is a new brand, and given the sheer abundance of SKUs in this, build quality is a potential concern, especially right out of the gate. Hopefully the assembly (being done in Amsterdam) will sort out any potential quality issues before the watch hits the wrist of the backers. As of the time of this writing, the project (which closes on Friday, June 3rd), is just over 90%Â funded.
While I personally do not feel the need to design a watch, I am intrigued by what Revolo is offering here, in terms of pricing models and the overall variety of choice. That said, I am certainly curious to hear what you, our readers, think about this project. Sound off in the comments (or drop us a line), and let us know what you think. And hey, if you back it and design your own, share your build images in the comments as well! revolo-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Revolo Custom
- Price: Earlybird pricing starts at $230
- Who we think it might be for: You like to tinker, and have wanted to create a watch that is specifically yours
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: While there are some interesting options, this is not something I feel a particular need to do
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Wouldn’t mind seeing some lumed bezel inserts
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The sheer amount of choices, including movement and price points.
Specifications from Revolo
- Timeless sports/classic models, durability starts with a design that is not likely to get outdated.
- Cases and solid bracelets made of 316 stainless steel, standard in the Swiss watch industry, CNC-machines, but hand finished
- Sapphire crystal glass at the frontside, 10 ATM water resistant, luminous hands and indices on the dials
- Reliable and precise movements. Ronda 515 Swiss Quartz or mechanical self-winding movements, 21 Jewels. Japanese Miyota 821A with skeleton rotor or a 26 jewels, swiss made automatic movement with hacking seconds.
- All steel and leather straps are equipped with a Revolo V quick change system; the consumer can tool less change it with 1 minute, allowing a change for the occasion (formal, leisure, sports style).