OK, it may be a few months before Marty McFly gets Doc Brown’s Delorian up to 88 miles per hour, but Polish watchmakers G. Gerlach have gone decidedly retro with this red LED watch now available from the site.Â The G. Gerlach Kosmonaut is an stylish update to those 7-segment LED watches, and specifically to the watch worn by the first and only Polish Kosmonaut, General Miroslaw Hermaszewski.
The caseback pays homage to the General, with his likeness and the Soviet Soyez capsule.Â In spite of the retro look, it also has modern and higher end queues, such as the 41mm case, the sapphire crystal, and the solid stainless steel links on the bracelet.Â Water resistant to 100 meters and boasting a modern quartz movement, it is a vast improvement over the original Polish design (and the first quartz watch made in Poland), which only lasted a few weeks on a battery.
If you like retro looks, or miss your old digital watch (or your dad’s old digital watch, depending on your age), then this may connect with you.Â There was a time that this was state of the art technology, and the look is certainly spot on.Â The machining of the case also looks well done and more luxurious than one would expect from a basic digital watch.Â If you ar looking for a slightly more modern take, G. Gerlach also has a black PVD finish available fro an extra $25 or so. Â Editor’s Note: Â we are working to get one of these in for a hands-on reviewÂ gerlach.org.pl
- Brand & Model: G. Gerlach Kosmonaut
- Price: ~$193 (+ ~$25 for PVD)
- Who we think it might be for: Fans of 70s retro styles, ironically or not.
- Would I wear one based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: I might wear it from time to time, but not enough to justify buying it.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: The branding on the lower part of the case is a little too prominent.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It does a good job in recalling a retro look with a more modern feel.
Tech Specs from G. Gerlach
- Movement: Digital quartz
- Functions: Time, day, date
- Case: Stainless steel
- Crystal: Red tinted sapphire
- Water resistance: 100 meters
- Lug width: 20mm
- Straps:Â Stainless steel bracelet
- Diameter: 41 mm
- Case Height: Not specified