I have never owned a Steinhart, nor have I had the chance to check one out in person, but the general reputation of the brand is that they produce well made timepieces that are affordable.Â Based on what I am seeing with the Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500, you can add a host of premium features to the mix of quality and affordability.Â Clocking in at just over $550 (based on exchange rates and no VAT), this is a classic diver that will not break the bank.
Premium features you say, what those might be?Â We can start with the titanium case material, which will significantly lighten the watch on your wrist.Â A domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating (plus a mineral glass exhibition case back) may not be premium, but I have seen mineral glass up front at this price, so this is definitely nice.Â But wait… there is more.Â The bezel has a ceramic insert and the movement is a decorated Soprod A10-2, which is Swiss made with a hacking second hand, giving the watch an overall Swiss Made designation.Â A Swiss-made automatic in a titanium case with a domed sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel insert; that is a decent enough list of premium features.
Don’t forget that the watch is, at its most basic, a dive watch, so Steinhart gives it generous Superluminova BGW9 luminous paint and the package is depth rated to 500 meters, well beyond what any recreational diver will ever need.Â I do wish that the watch conformed to the ISO standard for dive watches, which in this case should just be making the hour hand visually distinctive from the minute hand.Â Beyond that, at â‚¬496 (without VAT, ~ $560 USD) this watch really seems to be a great value for someone who wants to step up a bit from the entry level diver, but still not break the bank. steinhartwatches
- Brand & Model: Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500
- Price: â‚¬496, without VAT (approx $560 USD)
- Who we think it might be for: You want a nicer diver, but you are on a tight budget.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: Yes.Â Titanium, domed sapphire crystal, ceramic insert, automatic movement, check, check, check, and check.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: A mix of hand styles to comply with ISO specs.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The value of the package.
Tech Specs from Steinhart
- Movement: Soprod A10-2
- Functions: Three hander with 120 click unidirectional bezel with ceramic insert
- Case: satin titanium
- Crystal: Domed sapphire crystal with mineral glass exhibition caseback.
- Water resistance: 500 meters
- Lug width: 22mm
- Straps: Titanium bracelet.
- Diameter: 42 mm
- Case Height: 13 mm