There are a number of watch complications out there, and one that Patrick and I both really like is the GMT.Â With the Mercer Watch Company Wayfarer GMT, this new company is bringing this complication to market in their sophomore watchmaking effort.Â I wrote about the Brigadier automatic back in March, and it looks like that watch is getting in the hands of the backers, with a positive response.Â With that project in its final stages, Mercer is back on Kickstarter looking for funding for project #2.
The watch dial has an attractive and easy to read design, with your choice of a blue dial with orange accents or a grey dial with blue accents.Â A stretch goal also unlocks a black dial with red accents.Â The 41mm x 11mm case is a good size, modern but not too large, and slim enough to be a versatile every day wear.Â I personally am not a huge fan of the wire lugs, but they do go with the round case, and I like the etched caseback.Â The Hangzhou 6460 automatic movement powering the watch is a 24 hour GMT, so it works as an AM/PM indicator as well for that second time zone.Â I have not had one of these Chinese movements, but that would not scare me off, especially not at the project price of $249 to $269 (standard crowd funding warning goes here: you are backing the development of a project, not buying a commercial project, so there is a risk to backing any crowd funded project).
The case is water resistant to 100 meters, good enough for a travel watch or a daily beater.Â The watch is shipped on a Cordura Nylon strap, which looks like it might work well for the watch.Â If not, the 22mm lug width will not work against you if you are looking for an upgrade.Â I managed to check out the project early, but it is already almost at its funding goal, and I expect that they will hit it, and at least the first, and perhaps the second stretch goal.Â If intrigued, head over to the project page, and drop a note below.Â mercerwatch.com
- Brand & Model: Mercer Wayfarer GMT
- Price: $249 – $269 depending on timing
- Who we think it might be for: Travelers, and people working in two time zones.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: I don’t care for the wire style lugs, but I do like the GMT.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Other than the lugs, a larger crown.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: A good value in an automatic GMT.
Tech Specs from Mercer
- Movement: Hangzhou 6460
- Functions: Three hander plus 24 hour GMT
- Case: Stainless steel
- Crystal: Domed sapphire
- Water resistance: 100 meters
- Lug width: 22mm
- Straps:Â Cordura nylon with Lorica lining and signed polished buckle
- Diameter: 41 mm
- Case Height: 11 mm