Lew & Huey have been somewhat of a crowd source darling company, launching their watches to date through campaigns on Kickstarter.Â Now, with a mature fan base, several models on the market, and good name recognition for a new, independent brand, the Lew & Huey Phantom is going on sale, with pre-orders (opens noon Eastern on 4/20, link is not active until then) direct from Lew & Huey.
We have featured the brand quite a bit on our pages, and we have been able to preview or review the actual watches hands on a couple of times.Â As with everything out there, not every watch is going to appeal to every buyer, but the watches themselves have been solidly built and attractive, and I have no issue recommending the brand based on the rendered images alone.Â In this case, the Phantom takes its inspiration from the pilot’s watches of WWII, specifically the Flieger A-style, but it also departs from the standard to do its own thing.
One major difference in the inclusion of a 60 click bi-directional rotating bezel.Â The watch also skips the recognizable triangle and dots at 12:00 for the A-style, instead going with numbers at the ordinance points of the dial (with the Phantom A) or stick indexes on the Phantom B.Â In addition to the two styles, you can order either either the A in either a black or khaki sandwich dial color, a DLC case option is available, and both can come with or without a date window.Â The 42mm automatic watches have a Seiko NH35 movement, a highly domed acrylic crystal and a dark, reddish-brown leather strap with contrasting stitching.Â Pre-orders open on Monday, April 20 at noon Eastern and start at $250, with small increases for the khaki dial or DLC case.Â After the first 50 sell out, the price jumps up $25 on the next 50, then another $25 on the next 100, then another $25 until the pre-order closes.Â lewandhuey.com
- Brand & Model: Lew & Huey Phantom A and B
- Price: $250 – $272 (depending on options) for the first 50 up to $325 to $353 for late comers
- Who we think it might be for: Anyone who wants a mix of vintage and modern looks in a pilot’s watch.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: Yes, I think it is attractive and affordable.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Uni-directional bezel.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: A choice be tween date and no date, I’ll take mine without..
Tech Specs from Lew & Huey:
- Movement: Seiko NH35 Automatic Movement
- Functions: Date option, 60 click bezel
- Case: 316L stainless steel case with custom embossed caseback
- Glass: Acrylic
- Water resistance: 10 ATM
- Lug width: 22mm
- Straps: Dark Reddish Brown European Leather Strap with High Pick-Up and Off-White Stitching
- Diameter: 42mm
- Case Height: 11mm