There is something just so lovely about a clean white watch with blued hands in my eyes, which is why I was immediately drawn to the Archimede Deck Watch, now with heat blued hands done in-house.Â German made, with an ETA hand wound movement, this classic design is a great looking watch, and I am guessing will make it into my Father’s Day recommendations.
Patrick took a look at another Archimede watch last year, and he has also had some time with Ickler made cases, the same designers behind this case.Â From his experience, I would expect that the fit and finish of the 42mm case are going to be exemplary.Â At 10.5 mm, it is not the thinnest watch out there, but it certainly fits in the dress watch category.Â The front crystal is sapphire, while the exhibition caseback is mineral glass.Â The package is rated to 5 ATM.
The movement in the watch is a hand wound ETA 6498, so you are getting a Swiss movement with a small second complication.Â If you have never had a hand wound watch before, there is something to the act of winding your watch every day that connects you to the timepiece.Â For those of us that do not pay VAT, the price is â‚¬575, or around $620 on a leather strap; the watch on a nylon NATO strap will save about $30.Â There are also two stainless bracelets available, and those are â‚¬648 without the VAT (about $736).Â The same watch is also available with a black dial and luminescent white hands for about $55 less, but you lose those pretty blued hands.Â archimede-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Archimede Deck Watch
- Price: ~ $620
- Who we think it might be for: If you are like me and appreciate clean designs and blued hands.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: Yes, $620 for a pretty German made watch with an ETA movement hits the right mark.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: On this one, I have no suggestions.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Did I mentioned the blued hands.
Tech Specs from Archimede
- Movement: ETA 6498
- Functions: Hand wound, small seconds
- Case: Stainless Steel
- Glass: Sapphire crystal with a mineral crystal exhibition caseback
- Water resistance: 5 ATM
- Lug width: 20mm
- Straps: Leather, nylon NATO, or stainless steel
- Diameter : 42mm
- Length:Â 51mm
- Case height: 10.5mm
- Weight of watch head: Not specified