Techne is a brand that we have not focused on much recently, but both Patrick and I have an appreciation for what the brand is doing.Â They create attractive and affordable aviation inspired watches, with many of the watches tied to modern fighter planes.Â Though the Techne Dual Time is not tied to a specific plane this time around, it is pilot oriented with a day/date and a single hand GMT complication.
The 39.5mm diameter brushed stainless steel case is sized for unisex appeal, especially for people who think the trends in modern design are going too large.Â The chrono-style design of the dial has subdials at 9:00 for the day of the week, 3:00 for the day of the month, and 6:00 for a single hand 24-hour GMT dial.Â As a true dual time watch, this dial is set independent of the main 3-hand time display.Â Driving the watch is an ISASwiss 9238 quartz movement with a 3 year battery life.
This is the third time that Techne has gone to crowdfunding to launch a watch, even though they have an established on-line store selling other models.Â Going the crowd funding route will allow them to generate the minimum number of orders required to go into production, and since Techne is an established brand, I would expect that delays and surprises in manufacturing will be at a minimum.Â The project is on Rockethub, a crowd funding site I am not familiar with, but from what I understand, Techne’s home location prevented them from using Kickstarter.Â Funding ends on March 30 and watch rewards are from $125 to $135, depending on the desired strap.Â technewatches.biz
- Brand & Model: Techne Dual Time
- Price: $125 to $135, depending on strap option
- Who we think it might be for: Anyone who wants a well made quartz GMT.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what Iâ€™ve seen?: I don’t wear a lot of quartz watches, but I do own a Techne and I would recommend the brand.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: The day/date subdials are something I could have done without.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Great deal on a useful complication.
Tech Specs from Techne
- Movement: ISASwiss 9238 quartz
- Functions: 24 hour GMT dial, day and date sub dials
- Case: Stainless steel
- Glass: Mineral crystal
- Water resistance:Â 50 meters
- Lug width: Not specified
- Straps: Blue or green leather strap or stainless bracelet
- Diameter : 39.5mm
- Length: Not specified
- Case height: Not specified
- Weight of watch head: Not specified