I frequently write that too many crowd funded watch campaigns complain about the lack of interesting designs, and then the offered project ends up being another generic design.Â So I like it when I find a project that really tries to differentiate themselves.Â And this is the case with the Anicorn Series 000 Automatic watch.Â At the very essence, it is a three hander, but it is the chapter rings that rotate with the time, while the pointer stands still.Â It is not the first time I have seen this concept, but it is not a common way to build a watch.
As shown above, the hour hand is the outer most disk, the minutes are next in, and the seconds are the central colored ring.Â So the time on watch above is 11:08.Â The rings all rotate in a clockwise fashion, so the numbers are printed in reverse of what you would traditionally see on a watch faceÂ In the comments section, the creators state that the rings are plastic with a metal-like printing.Â The project also goes into great length about the font used, so that may be a bonus if you are a design aficionado (unless you hate that font).Â The bottom third of the dial is blacked out (I don’t know why), and the lugless PVD black case is 42mm in diameter and 10 mm tall.
Driving the watch is the reliable Miyota 8215 automatic movement, and the front crystal is mineral glass, though there have been a number of requests for a sapphire upgrade by the backers. The watch comes with a black leather strap.Â There have also been requests for an exhibition caseback for the watch, but this movement is pretty utilitarian, so if I were voting (I am not), I would want the sapphire up front and leave the back alone.
The production run is “limited,” but there does not seem to be a mention of how limited.Â Watch rewards are $260 CAD for the watches with red or blue seconds disks, $290 CAD for the yellow (the $260 early birds are sold out), and $320 CAD for a special edition green and black striped version.Â You can get two of the standard colors for $440 CAD.Â The watch has a lot of early backing, a strong indication it will make the funding goal.Â anicorn-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Anicorn Series 000
- Price:Â $260 CAD to $320 CAD (or $440 CAD for 2)
- Who we think it might be for: A fan of vinyl records, or anyone who wants a different spin on time.
- Would I buy or recommend it just on the photos?:Â I probably would not wear it much, but I would like to have one.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Open the bottom 1/3 of the dial, and maybe add a movable pointer for a second time zone.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:Â It is a different way to go, and it is an automatic.