This Hamilton Khaki Automatic is in the Khaki Field Collection and has been on my wrist a lot in the last few months and its accuracy, look and durability reminds me why these things survived several wars from the 40s to 70s.
My first impression of this little soldier was that it was not dressed for the daily combat (my office work) on my wrist. Its high polished, fixed stainless steel bezel was too shiny. But alas, the rest of the satin finished case looked ready for daily wear. The black dial had luminous Arabic numerals with second and sub second markers around the scale. This thing was ready to go.
I picked the watch with the 38mm wide and 11mm high case, but there’s also a 42mm of the same dial design. I found the 38mm to be the right size for a low key casual watch with the simple design and reliability. Do you want push the boundaries on the retro size, consider the 42mm.
The stainless steel case size allows it to remain inconspicuous under any shirt sleeve. The crown is large and nicely marked with an “H” on its end. The straight crown details give it a nice texture to grasp. The size of this crown is a great detail that gives this watch an extra width and detail reminiscent of the larger crowns of the 40s watches.
It has a scratch resistant sapphire crystal on the front and a sapphire case back that gives a clear view of the customized rotor and the ETA 2824-2 automatic movement with a date and hack set. This 25-jewel engine of this watch is encased in a water resistant case and rated at 100m.
The dial is black with simply, bold Arabic numerals as well as a GMT scale directly under each hour numeral at 1 to 12. The date display is highlighted with a thin, white line and appears at the 3 o’clock position. The date numeral is appropriately portioned and smaller than the hour numerals and is set on a white base offering clear legibility at any angle.
Last but not least on the dial, the brand name, “Hamilton” is clearly and conservatively placed at 12 o’clock position and the words, “Khaki Automatic” are stacked symmetrically above the 6 o’clock.
The “double boy” hour and minute hands are luminescent and look exactly like their vintage ancestors except they are lined with a chrome edge that frames and highlights the lume. The second hand has a wonderful glide around the dial and is accented by the red tip of the hand pointing out the seconds.
I appreciated the nice genuine leather strap with contrast stitching, but I quickly replaced it with a darker brown version for a more comfortable fit on my wrist. I’m sure the original strap would break in and feel better over time. It also had an engraved “Hamilton” on a satin finished buckle.
Overall, the watch has been resistant to the occasional dings and scratches of the office warrior life. Its size is low key and never really screams look at my wrist. But it’s the accuracy of this watch that I’m most excited about. It keeps great time and at this writing has only lost 10 seconds in the last 5 days after daily wear.
This is an every-man’s watch and offers a humble, time-tool that promises to be faithful in the mundane activities of your day. If you admire the vintage military watch, but want an accurate, modern day version, give this watch a look. It retails at $575. http://www.hamiltonwatch.com
- Brand & Model: Hamilton Khaki Automatic H70455533
- Price: $575
- Who we think it might be for: This watch and any in this collection is for the vintage-watch fan who wants the conveniences of a new, carefree watch.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: I did and I would like to buy some of the others from the line.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I would consider making one with a straight, 24 –hour dial.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: I appreciated the simple design and universal workhorse of a movement. It’s a watch for every person.
- Brand Model: Hamilton Khaki Automatic H70455533
- Movement (technology): ETA 2824-2 Automatic with date and hack
- Size of case diameter (mm): 38mm
- Height of case: 5mm
- Weight: NA
- Case material: Stainless steel
- Case Back: Sapphire crystal
- Crown: Stainless steel
- Crystal/Glass material: Sapphire crystal
- Water resistance (m/ft/atm): 330 Feet
- Strap/Bracelet material: Leather
- Illumination: Yes