Want to go Dutch? It is always fun to uncover a new (at least new to me) brand, so I was happy to uncover the Florijn Dive watches from this small Dutch brand. The watches are supposed to represent Dutch design aesthetics, simple and powerful with clean lines, no frills and solid functionality. I think on most of these points they hit the mark.
There are three models, the Ein (left), Twee (center) and Drie (left). They all share the same 45mm x 14.1mm high case, with the Ein, or One, with a brushed case and bezel, the Twee (Two) adding a DLC bezel, and the Drie, or Three, going full DLC. The bezel is marked with both the minutes and hours, so the watch can be used as a dual time watch when traveling. Under the hood is a Seiko NH 35 automatic, hacking with date. The date cyclops is standard on the watch, but you can order it without for about €15 (about $16). The watch itself, outside of the EU, €325, about $344.
There is a lot of elevation to the watch, with the table swell recessed from the dial, deep applied markers, and cut outs on the bevel. It is a strong, modern looking design. I am not a huge fan of the bezel, especially with the white paint on the DLC version, it looks a little too busy, and I would like at least some lume on it. The case is another element I am not sure about. The last time I was a heavy angular case I was not expecting to like it, but actually did, so this one is a toss-up.
The watch is rated to 300 meters and comes with 2 rubber straps and a nylon NATO as well. The crystal is sapphire, which is nice at this price point. The brand is limiting the production to 100 pieces, so the overall package is attractively priced. You have a solid diver from a small brand with European heritage (though with a Japaneses movement) with bold, clean lines and a small production run. For the asking price of €325, it might be worth a consideration against some of the other budget automatic divers out there. florijnhorloges.nl
- Brand & Model: Florijn Dive Watches
- Price: €325, without VAT (approx $344 USD)
- Who we think it might be for: You want a bold looking diver no one else is going to have.
- Would I wear one myself based on what I’ve seen?: Maybe, I would have to see it in person.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Lume the triangle on the bezel.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is a nice package of features in an affordable boutique watch.
Tech Specs from Florijn:
- Movement: Seiko NH35 Automatic
- Functions: Three hander with date
- Case: Brushed stainless steel with optional DLC
- Crystal: Sapphire
- Water resistance: 300 m/30ATM
- Lug width: 24mm
- Straps: Rubber strap with an additional rubber strap and a nylon NATO
- Diameter: 45 mm
- Case Height: 14.1 mm